View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #120
Radii
Head Coach

Ugh I was going to try to format player attributes nicely here to review the roster starting the new year, but I lost a bunch of if when OpenOffice crashed on me, so screw it, maybe next year.

Depth Chart - Goalkeepers

1. Amidu Gyan - 27 y/o - Best Combo of technical/mental attributes.
2. Phil Harrington - 24 y/o - As good as Gyan technically, weak mentally

I have two 17 y/o keepers. Clark Garcia could surpass these guys... eventually. But with training being what it is at this level, not really worth worrying about.

Gyan remains the starter here.

Defenders - Left Side

1. David Campbell - 22 y/o - Not skilled at all. Coggins should be my best here, but the ratings last year did not bear that out.
2. Danny Coggins - 25 y/o - Best Technically and Mentally by a lot.
3. Sean Rongen - 17 y/o - Rongen is actually better technically than Campbell too

Coggins is by far the best by the numbers, but Campbell put up better ratings last year. If Coggins plays well he probably gets all the starts here when he's fit. If no one stands out I may well rotate all three of them though.

Defenders - Right Side

1. Steve Arroyo - 17 y/o - By attributes, the best defender on my team. One of the few players with lots of 8's in spots like marking/tackling

2. Bob Varela - 16 y/o - Fine numbers for a backup, but Arroyo clearly looks better.

3. Joe Jackson - 27 y/o - Jackson's attributes are basically the same as Varela, I chose to give the younger guy more playing time last season.

Varela has the highest average rating here, but he only played when fully fit and sometimes against weaker opposition to rest Arroyo. Arroyo's attributes are so much better that its impossible to not start him (unlike Campbell vs Coggins at DL)

Defenders - Central

1. Joe Pickering - 16 y/o Attribute-wise, he looks like just another schlub, but he's 6'8" and the ratings he put up separated him from the pack last year.
2. Hernando Galvis - 25 y/o - The only DC with super high determination. Also the best leader and thus captain. Elsewhere he's in line with everyone else, so that gives him the bump to start.

3. Garry Garcia - 17 y/o - Best marking at this position. There's a big clump of players here really.

4. Tommy Lassiiter - 28 y/o - Best heading and Tackling, strongest DC, but the lowest composure and determination.

5. Don Burke - 25 y/o - By far the worst technically, minus the fact that he can jump...

Looking at attributes, the top 4 guys seem interchangeable mostly, and Burke clearly seems worse. Galvis wins out entirely b/c of determination and leadership.

Looking at ratings last year, it goes Pickering >>>>> Galvis/Burke >>> Garcia/Lassiter. Burke is 6'7" so maybe he outplays his ratings b/c of height too.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote