View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 08:05 AM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I have a bevy of hot takes after watching both episodes online.

It's pretty well acted, but the script really assumed a familiarity with the characters we don't have yet which makes their actions stranger, to me. The storyline kind of makes my mind explode and not in a good way, but I'm fine with a "moviesque" version of Star Trek over whatever the previous shows did.

Discovery will be many people's entry point into Trek, even though there's a lot I don't like, the fact is, unlike the movies it actually feels like Star Trek and that's a big thing. It's less a love letter to Trek - like the movies were, with 2 FAST 2 fURIOUS wrapping - and more like a SyFy show with a huge budget trying to conjure itself as a diverse show, a show for bois who like 'splosions, a show that CBS can carry water for its online service, and a show that's supposed to give us nostalgia for old Trek while trying to drag itself into the future.

As much as I'm loathe to admit it, Trek has never had a modern show with modern trappings and so, I suppose what's happening now is inevitable and necessary. I'll watch -- hell, I watched Enterprise, I'm a sucker -- but I'm more interested in what this thing looks like a season or two after and how we'll compare it to previous attempts at Star Trek shows.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote