View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 05:26 AM   #458
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
From a football perspective, I'm sure they'd love to take Oklahoma. From an academic standpoint though, I think they'd prefer Nebraska.

It's probably a pipe-dream though - I'm afraid the Pac-10 Presidents are too conservative to act this boldly. And besides, they'd have to convince Texas that their revenues would increase, and at this point it's all speculation until they get a new TV deal and start figuring out a Pac-10 network and what kind of revenue that could generate.

Maybe I'm naive here, but why would any Big 12 team outside of Colorado be interested in the Pac 10? If the Texas schools leave the Big 12, I would think it'd be for a conference like the SEC that already has a large tv contract in place.

No matter how this Big 10 expansion shakes out, I see the Big 12 remaining simply because Texas, Texas A&M, etc have little to gain from leaving. The SEC is the next big threat to expand and I wouldn't be surprised to see them go after a few ACC schools. The Big 12's tv contract is up in 2015 which means they'll likely create their own network. I've even seen it suggested that the Big 12 may do a joint network with someone such as the Pac 10. I don't know how far fetched that idea is though given the Big 12 rarely agrees with one another so I can't see them agreeing with the Pac 10. But I think at the end of the day the Big 12 will continue so long as the Texas schools are committed to it.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote