View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 10:48 AM   #462
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
The PAC-10's contract is up next year, that's why it's a destination for Texas et al. If they load up on more schools, any existing contract negotiations would be basically torn up and they can get ESPN in a bidding war

Adding Texas would certainly boost the Pac 10 revenue, but that's true of any conference they join. Even if they stay in the Big 12, they will most certainly boost their revenue in 2015 when they sign a new deal. Plus Texas isn't exactly hurting for money as is so I'm not seeing that as a big factor for them joining a conference. The money doesn't hurt, but I have to think there are other factors that are probably more important to them. Currently they are in a conference where the headquarters are in their backyard. I'm sure that will play a part as well.

Quote:
And as far as Texas is concerned, if they join the Pac-10 the TV revenue will increase substantially. Of course they would have to get used to sharing that revenue equally, which might be hard for them to swallow. If the Big-12 only looses 1 or 2 teams I don’t see Texas going anywhere; but if the Big-10 goes ape shit and grabs a bunch of teams out of the North Division, and Colorado leaves, then who knows?

Based on the rumors, the Big 12 is potentially looking at losing Nebraska, Missouri, and Colorado. Nebraska will probably be the biggest loss of the three because of their national following, but I honestly don't see the Cornhuskers leaving the Big 12. If it did happen though then it would hurt the Big 12, but they could off-set some of the damage by adding three new teams.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote