View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 12:44 AM   #480
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
I'm not saying any of the rumors are true. I'm suggesting that the Big 12 needs to react to these rumors as if they are true and thus they better be contacting potential candidates as we speak. In all honesty though, I wouldn't be surprised if the Big 12 Commish is sitting on his hands as we speak given his incompetence. I'm just saying what I hope is happening though I have my doubts given the Commissioner.

As I said before, Colorado is the one program that I see with the most to gain by leaving simply because they already have relationships with the Pac 10. So I could see Colorado leaving for the Pac 10 unless the Big 12 can show it's serious about expanding. I think the Big Ten only takes one and maybe two programs on this expansion. Notre Dame is the obvious choice, but Pitt or UConn could be next in line. So there's a chance the Big 12 (if they are play their hand right) could leave this expansion unscathed. My confidence is low given the commissioner, but I'm not giving up hope just yet.

I hear ya on the weak commissioner. I like the way the new guy we have thinks and his track record, but the best thing about him is he is not the staid and backward-thinking ex-commissioner Tom Hansen, whose only seeming positive quality in the office was his ability to remain in that office for way, way too long. He hamstrung conference efforts to expand to get a championship game, tied the conference to low tier bowls, locked the conference in to regional networks while everyone else was getting national pub on ESPN and pretty much anything that could be considered progressive was discarded as too risky. He was also commish while the conference featured some of the most awful refs in the country.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote