View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #491
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I hear ya on the weak commissioner. I like the way the new guy we have thinks and his track record, but the best thing about him is he is not the staid and backward-thinking ex-commissioner Tom Hansen, whose only seeming positive quality in the office was his ability to remain in that office for way, way too long. He hamstrung conference efforts to expand to get a championship game, tied the conference to low tier bowls, locked the conference in to regional networks while everyone else was getting national pub on ESPN and pretty much anything that could be considered progressive was discarded as too risky. He was also commish while the conference featured some of the most awful refs in the country.

Hell, sounds an awful lot like the Big XII since its inception: silly tv deals, way too conservative with regards to helping the conference move foward, awful refs, etc. That's why I have a feeling if one of the big conferences is going to be ripped apart (aside from the Big East- that's pretty much a given), it probably will be the Big XII. They'll be in react mode the whole time and be dealing with contingencies they didn't even plan for.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote