View Single Post
Old 02-06-2020, 12:11 AM   #1007
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Well, from what I've been reading the Hogs had a pretty good recruiting day. Signed 4* QB, 4* OL and 3*OL. Our ranking moved from 40'ish to 29 which was the biggest improvement of any team.

Pittman is off to a good start but I've heard that before. I really, really hope our game play improves. It was absolutely horrible last year.

I'll give you something positive about the three signees from the state of Georgia: they have experience at winning

Andy Boykin; DL; 6-4; 262; LaGrange, Ga.; Troup County ... 35-13
Jaqualin McGehee; DL; 6-4; 255; Fort Valley, Ga.; Peach County... 48-9
Jacorrei Turner; LB; 6-2; 205; Atlanta; Woodward Academy... 42-10

Losing is not something any of them are going to be accustomed to, and that can bode well for a program that's rebuilding.

I will also give you the slight possible downside with that trio: there's 1 final four each for two of them, two finals & a final four for the Peach County kid ... but while winning consistently, none ever got a ring.

Boykin is like a lot of Troup kids, athletic but may need to get focused (or so I read). He's a tweener that started out as a DE but kept getting bigger and ended up inside. (indeed, he's expecting to see work at both til they decide the best fit, though his weight was up to 295 at one point,the 262 might be overly generous now). He's maybe the biggest reach of the trio to, Arky was among his few P5 offers until well into the process, and his rankings in-state declined steadily over the junior and senior seasons.

Turner was a two-way player in Class AAAA where there aren't all that many of those anymore. TE/LB in HS, I'd expect strictly an LB in college, too light to be otherwise. Athlete (4 yr letterman in both football and basketball), likely to be a decent or better student too, given his HS background.

McGehee I watched some highlights of. His strength is obvious, looks to be pretty good laterally, underwhelmed me straightline. He's probably the kind of DE that doesn't pile up sacks but forces QBs the other way into the arms of another tackler.