View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 10:58 PM   #33
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
Izulde, I was just curious what exactly is a GRE, I guess mainly what does it stand for and what is a good number to get on the test? From what I gather it is some proficiency test for students pursuing grad school in humanities. Is it similar to the LSATs for law?

Good luck with your applications.

It stands for Graduate Record Examination and involves, for the GRE General, measuring Verbal/Quanitative (multiple choice) and Analytical (writing). So in some respects like the SAT with the Verbal/Math. It's also computer-based these days.

The GRE Subject examinations, though I haven't looked too closely at them because they're not a requirement at the schools I'm hoping to attend, appear to be like the SAT II Subject tests.

As far as a good score goes, generally speaking schools will require a minimum score of 1000 to be eligible for admission.

Creative Writing programs that require the GRE tend to care only about the Verbal and Analytical portions and ignore the Quanitative.

I'm not sure if it's similiar to the LSAT or not. I know one of my fraternity brothers obsessed for months over studying for the LSAT though and wound up taking it twice.

Thanks for the luck! Considering that Creative Writing programs admit, at most, around 3% of their applicants and in the case of programs like Brown maybe 1/10th of 1%, if that, luck certainly helps!

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote