View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 01:27 PM   #132
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcizo View Post
Ok. I've been thinking about the game today and I think I have a plan people might want to think about.

This game is dramatically different from any other I've played in as there are two villager factions. In my opinion that fact alone hugely benefits the wolves. Then there's the fact that the wolves have access to a lot more information in a game where information is key. More so, even, than usual. Presuming, for argument's sake that there are four wolves, if they spread out, they will be able to "see" pretty much the entire board, while we can only see 2-3 squares away (and, if we trust our PM partners, 2-3 squares from them). Then you add in the fact that they might also got access to some information from their PM partners and the wolves have got a pretty stacked hand in terms of chessboard strategy. They can co-ordinate their moves (and potentially those of their PM partners) to achieve maximum destruction while safeguarding the kings. It seems logical to me that trying to force the issue is going to result in a lot of dead villagers leaving the wolves in a position of superiority that is only going to get greater.

I suggest we take that advantage out of their hands by enforcing a "nuetral" zone across the middle two rows of the board. (Is it rows or columns? I think rows). Rather than blindly blundering around trying to capture opponents pieces we stick to the first three rows and concentrate on trying to weed out the wolves using traditional methods.
People might be thinking that this is some sort of ploy to get my team ahead but I don't really see how it could be. Teams can still maneuvre in their first three rows. All I'm trying to do is prevent the wolves getting more kills by steering events on the board.

Now the counter-argument is that if both sides go all out storming the opponents' king then it takes the initiative out of the hands of the wolves and could finish the game quickly. While this had merit I still feel that all that such a strategy (which, by nature, can't be organised) is a lot of dead pieces and the king not being overly threatened. Particularly as the wolves will be doing their best to make sure that neither side hits the king.

Another thing - knights can only scan for wolves within one square or a legal move away. If we aim to keep pieces grouped then I think there's more of a chance of them hitting a wolf with their seer scan. (although, to be honest, the chances aren't all that great anyway).

Thoughts?

I suspect there are a lot more than four wolves since I understand that every Knight is a seer. An equal number of seers to wolves? Seems dangerous. So, either some of those seers are wolves, or we have more wolves. I suspect one each of Knight, Rook, Bishop and Pawns if there are just four, and that doesn't leave a lot of room for mistakes by the wolves so I guess there are a more - perhaps six or so, which would still only be double the number of seers in this case (which is still dangerous for the wolves).

As for the interdiction, I'm not sure. I am convinceable though, if you want to go that route.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote