View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #224
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I think it's more that he basically gave away Brandon Knight and did nothing to bring in another point guard in FA or trade. Knight is nothing special, but he atleast has the potential to be a stop-gap guard. What's funny is the Knight situation is probably what cost him his job. He gave IT away to Boston so that he could use the Lakers pick to obtain Knight. Then, he gave Knight a big extension right before he blew out his knee. I think if the Suns did any of the following, he still has a job:

1. Kept Knight (and sold Sarver on him for this year)
2. Signed Fred VanVleet, Avery Bradley, Tony Parker, Yogi Ferrell or any other pro PG available for between $2 mil and $9 mil (on a 2-year deal).
3. Traded for Beverly, Schroder, Lowry, Kemba Walker, George Hill or one of the litany of available PGs.

Instead, McDonough decided to start the season with some combo of Shaq Harrison, Isaiah Canaan and the 20-year old french pick (Okobo). With the investment the Suns have in their front court (Ayton, Jackson, Ariza, Warren, Bender and Bridges), I don't think Sarver liked the poo poo platter at point to compliment Booker. Ryan was pretty much on his last gasp after the past two offseasons that saw the team get worse. I think he was content on keeping this ponzi scheme going as long as he could - but Phoenix was getting sick of missing the playoffs for 7 straight seasons and wanted to see the team start improving. I know it's hard to believe, but 8 years ago the Suns were the 4th most winning team in NBA history. Losing for almost a decade is tough for this fanbase.

Last edited by Arles : 10-09-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote