View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #65
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Evening Session

We waited through the 500 Freestyles and the break between sessions, and Brett was a champ. He laid down for about an hour and a half, drank Gatorade and water throughout that time, and ate a good lunch, plus some fruit to stay charged. He was really focused on this race. Just like Bear and Bailey's 200 Free, in order to get an idea of how Brett was doing compared to the cut, I printed off his splits from the 1st time he swam the event, when he came up just 3 seconds short. I was hopeful that he would get his cut, but as you may remember from my comments at the time, I was fearful that there may not be 3 seconds in the pool for him to get. His times the first time in this event were...

1:38.37 (51.35)
2:28.60 (50.23)
3:18.94 (50.34)

Race starts with a .72 start, good enough for a tie for 2nd best out of the 27 kids in the event, and only .04 off of the best start. He opened with a strong 50 finishing it at 44.11...at this point he is way ahead of his previous swim and right where he needs to be for a state cut. The second 50 he completed in 50.05, which is much faster than his second 50 last time, and actually faster than all the 50 from the first race but the opening one. He was sitting on a time of 1:34.16 at the half way point - 4.21 seconds faster than the previous swim. The 3rd 50 Brett was much slower and appeared to be tiring...when he touched the wall he was at 2:26.04 (51.88)...only 2.5 seconds faster than the last time and not fast enough for the cut. In the final 50 he really increased his effort level, sprinting with everything he had. He got to the wall for the final turn and he was right on pace. He drove it home to the finish and posted a 3:14.71...a final lap in an impressive 48.67, and good enough for a state cut...he was thrilled...

Until

He found out he was disqualified for a single hand touch on the final turn of the race...He was devastated...it was painful to watch the elation go out of him when he was told. He was on the opposite side of the pool on the deck and we were in the top of the stands but we could see it happen. When he got up to where we were sitting, he basically collapsed, completely spent and an emotional wreck. He wanted to go home, but we urged him to stay for the 50 Breast.

He did swim the 50 Breast, and while he didn't match his time from the morning he did post a 42.96 a time almost idential to his personal best prior to the prelims earlier in the morning, and good enough for 9th place overall...

Last edited by Breeze : 02-21-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote