View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 08:01 PM   #721
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

2055 Year-End Rankings

1. Mateo Kaspar(27, FRA) -- 19,250

Kaspar just completed the best season in tennis history. After losing his first match to Dudwadkar, an epic in the opening round of the WTC, he won the next 95, a record, and became the first player every to complete a year with only one defeat. The main question now is how he can keep it going.

2. Martin Zarco(27, ESP) -- 7600

Zarco didn't do particularly great in the Slams, but made six Masters SFs and also one at the Australian while reaching the RG final. Also helped Spain to the WTC championship. Overall a sparkling 81 wins, and a better show than I thought he was capable of.

3. Guus Dircx(25, NLD) -- 6900

Dircx has been up and down, but this year he was consistent though not spectacular. A pretty even mix of SF and QF results, failing to reach that far only at Rome among the big events. 74 wins after 73 and 72 the previous two seasons.

4. Ritwik Dudwadkar(25, SRI) -- 6580

As high as 3rd and as low as 6th, Dudwadkar bounced up and down this year. 68 wins is only one more than the year before, but four fewer defeats as well(no Olympics this season basically accounts for the difference). Three Masters finals, but only one Slam SF(QFs at the other three). Quarters or better at all the big events. With a couple of the older players sliding further, he will hope to make a renewed assault on the guys ahead of him. He was 3-1 vs. Dircx, but just 1-4 in matches with Zarco. That's a total of 4-5 combined, so it's not a surprise that he sits just behind them.

5. Gillo Fangio(25, ITA) -- 5365

Fangio saw a stunningly sharp drop in his success, falling from 74 wins a year before to 52 this year. Still had the occasional success but he is no longer a consistent threat to the best players.

6. Hsuang-tsung Teng(26, NZL) -- 5305

Moving up despite somewhat less success, Teng is taking advantadge of some of the decline of the others. There's no evidence yet that he has the game to get much further.

7. Prakash Mooljee(31, SRI) -- 4750

Mooljee has seen his last WTF nearly for certain. Making it at 31 is no small feat, so he has done well. This will be his final year in my stable of players, after failing to reach the QFs four times in '55. I'd expect the occasional good run, mixed in with more frequent early defeats.

8. Ruben Piazzola(24, CHL) -- 3865

After lurking in the mid-low teens for some while, Piazzola was just consistent enough to break through. He had 67 wins this year, just one short of Dudwadkar and more than some above him. We'll see what he can do now that he's made it to the Top 8.

9. Valentin Rosenberg(25, SWE) -- 3570

A lot of close losses prevented Rosenberg from making his first Tour Finals. Did well in the Slams including the AO final to start off last year, but only a single QF in the Masters. Definitely needs to be more consistent if he is to progress, and I expect that will ultimately happen.

10. Sigmund Kronecker(28, DEU) -- 3500

I had Kronecker picked to slide further than this, but he did just enough to stay on the first page.

13. Benno Duhr(25, AUS)

14. Matthew Panter(25, USA)

15. Gregory Mackenzie(24, USA)

This trio is the closest to breaking in next, but they are several hundred points behind still. They haven't quite found the formula to make it through just yet.

100. Stanley Edleman(19, USA)

I'll have more on him in the annual preview, but he's the first teenager to make the Top 100(by the skin of his chinny chin chin, but still) since Nikitin did it four years ago.

198. Anil Mehul(39, SRI)

22nd and falling in doubles. Last year he played more singles matches(47) than doubles(41), a trend which will continue.

230. Sushant Chiba(19, SRI)

There are six players his age or younger that are ranked above Chiba. That's a small enough list(Edleman is a few months older). He figures to get out of futures quite soon, and then we'll see what's what as he attempts to take on the Challenger ranks.

Manager(4th) -- 28.9k. I continue to slowly slide, while hugoboy, Kaspar's manager, has taken the top spot narrowly.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote