View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 05:41 AM   #61
StLee
High School Varsity

Part One: Jeremy Naquin, the linebacker

Jeremy’s Journal
October 4, 2027

Damn it if we didn’t blow it this game. The final score was Paris 23, Us 14. We were up 14-6 at halftime, but they outscored us 17-0 in the second half.

Again, I wasn’t on the field as much as I would like, but I made it count when I was out there. Also, I got the start due to Paris trying to run the ball on us to start the game. However, I was definitely on the field less than half the time, and very rarely on obvious passing downs. I don’t know why I am getting pulled so much on third downs because I thought I was doing OK covering on passes.

Anyway, here is a log of my plays:

2-6-PAR34 (1Q: 09:29) Shane Slater pass completed to WR Jack Cox for 6 yards. Tackled by OLB Jeremy Naquin. Cox gained 1 yard after the catch. The ball was fumbled and recovered by PAR Kyle Coffey on the PAR40.

This was actually the first play of the game where I was on the field. Paris was in a run formation with a 2-TE, single back set. Instead, the Wolves’ QB Slater went back to pass. I was covering zone on the defensive left side. When Slater went back to pass, I dropped back about three steps. He zipped it in on a slant, but I jarred the ball from the WR Cox when he tried to go down field. I tried to grab the ball, but one of the Paris players jumped on it before I could grab it.

2-9-AUC42 (2Q: 15:00) Shane Slater pass completed to RB Kyle Coffey for 8 yards. Tackled by OLB Jeremy Naquin. Coffey gained 2 yards after the catch.

Again, Paris was in a single back set. I was in on packages of multi-TE or multi-back sets, which Paris barely uses. On this one, again we were looking run, but Slater called an audible. Coffey is a fast SOB, so Slater dumped it off to him out of the backfield near the sideline. I raced over and was able to pull him down before he got any steam.

1-10-PAR34 (2Q: 04:48) Kyle Coffey ran around the left tackle for 8 yards. Tackled by OLB Jeremy Naquin. Key block delivered by Danny Sinclair.

We were looking run, and Paris obliged. However, Pauley got blown up by the full back. When I saw the pitch to Coffey going left (away from me), I ran as hard as I could. I had to hurdle Pauley, but I got a clean hit on Coffey and took him down.

1-10-AUC47 (2Q: 03:51) Shane Slater pass completed to FB Norbert Franklin for 7 yards. Tackled by OLB Jeremy Naquin.

Another one of those Norberts. Who names their kid that?!? On this one, Paris had a two-TE set with both guys on the right. The running backs were in an I. On the call, there were Wolves running everywhere, but Norbert was my assignment in man. Unfortunately, I was a little caught up in traffic and got checked by one of the TEs. It meant that Norbert beat me to the outside and got a catch for seven yards.

2-2-AUC30 (4Q: 08:55) Kyle Coffey ran outside the right tackle for 2 yards. Tackled by OLB Jeremy Naquin, assisted by CB A.J. Morton. Key block delivered by Nolan Grabert.

I didn’t play much in the middle of the game once we went up. Slater likes to pass a lot, so I sat through most of the 3rd quarter. I can live with that. Anyway, we were in straight up man here in case of a pass. Coffey got the ball for a sweep coming my way. Pauley tried to bust in, but he got pancaked by one of the Paris OL. I came in behind him, though and took down Coffey for 2. Unfortunately, though, he got enough for a first after they measured the ball.

1-7-AUC07 (4Q: 07:33) Shane Slater pass completed to FB Norbert Franklin for 4 yards. Tackled by OLB Jeremy Naquin. Franklin gained 5 yards after the catch.

This was our goal line stand. On first and goal, Slater dumped it off to Norbert in the backfield. I was in zone, standing in the end zone when I saw the FB get the ball. I had to battle to get to him, but I made the tackle, preventing the TD. Paris ended up having to kick a field goal on the drive.

That’s it for my stats. I had a decent game stat-wise with 6 tackles and a forced fumble. Also, our D played a lot better in this game! I know it was a loss, but it’s pretty tough to travel half way around the world and win in this league. It looks like we might be an inconsistent team on the road. But we are back home next week, and I look for good things to happen there.

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote