View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 08:56 AM   #13
SirBlurton
High School Varsity

It's so interesting to be reading your first impressions on all of this.
Wanted to say this really does remind me of some of the feelings I had about it when I started.

The group I'm part of does a chant before we start...that's something I definitely thought was hocus pocus the first few times! Now it's almost comforting and helps prepare me to meditate.

One thing our group talks about constantly is the fact that you point out...that mindfulness IS a practice. There's no end goal (unless you're striving for Buddha-esque enlightenment!). It's just a daily cultivation of awareness of where your mind is leading you.

For me, the most benefit I get from the practice is when I have a moment where I can clearly "see" the reaction I'm having. I used to have a problem at work where people would goad me into having reactions, be it sarcasm, anger, whatever. These reactions often made me look like I was "the problem" and my concerns weren't seen as valid.

Since I've been practicing, I find that I can notice when my buttons are being pushed, almost like a third party observer....and that moment of awareness gives me a chance to decide how I want to react. This ability has improved my life greatly and it's the biggest benefit I get from the practice.

Also, less stress and less thinking coupled with more enjoyment of moments!

Again, great to be reading about your experiences with it!
SirBlurton is offline   Reply With Quote