View Single Post
Old 09-15-2016, 09:42 PM   #495
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Race to the World Tour Finals
Post-Shanghai Edition

I had to make one significant adjustment after noticing something. It's quite a rare situation, but one playerDavide Poilblan has played a bunch of 250s and virtually no 500s this year. He's won most of them, and the game is counting them instead of taking the 'empty' 500 slots -- usually 4 500s and 2 250s is how it works out. After boosting Poilblan's total to account for this, I am left with an incredibly close race for the final spots with just three weeks to go ...

In -- the cut line is presently at 4320

Girish Girsh -- 13,710
Gustavo Caratti -- 8,310
Antonin Iglar -- 8,040
Anil Mehul -- 6,010
Mugur Kinczllers -- 5,300

Early exits by Caratti and Kinczllers have changed things a bit. It looks very likely now that Mehul, having reached the first big-event final of his season here, will hang on to the fourth spot, and Caratti looks ripe for the picking by Iglar as the season wraps up.

Probable

Theodore Bourdet -- 3760

A third-round exit for Bourdet does little more than maintain his spot. He's still over 500 points short of the qualification line.

Contenders

Bjorn Benda -- 3390
Agustin Herrera -- 3350
--------------------------------------------------------
Pierce Gaskell -- 3340
Prakash Mooljee -- 3220
Davide Poilblan -- 3195

Mooljee is now officially in the hunt after his second Masters semi of the season. It's been a heck of a two weeks and I now actually think he's going to make it, but he's still on the outside looking in for the moment. This is shaping up to be potentially the most dramatic Race I've had in all my years here. Five players going for two spots even if you don't count Bourdet, and less than 200 points separating them. In terms of strategizing for the big finish, Mooljee is going to just keep playing ... he's got to build up his form for the off-season anyway, esp. if he doesn't make the cut. Most of the others are going to take time off, which is probably a mistake but we'll see how it goes - they will be fresher for the finish at Paris, where Bourdet and Poilblan have a big advantage from the crowd.

Every match is vital from here on out ...

Long Shots

Shreya Ujjaval -- 2840
Thiago Herrera -- 2785
Elias Trulsen -- 2430
Tobia Alberti -- 2415

Due to the fact that the three main contenders(Benda, A. Herrera, Gaskell) didn't do much, nobody dropped off this week. Even Alberti, who is under new management that is apparently double-focused and didn't even enter the singles draw, is still technically hanging around. Everybody here is at least 500 points off the pace though, so they need a big push and some luck at this point.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 09-15-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote