View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 03:05 PM   #90
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General Manager notes: Hello 2081!
Oh goody, off-season time!

The retirement wave made us lose four guys, and not lose a guy or two that I anticipated to see retire. Firstly, who has left us?

Quarterback Sammy Erickson, 4 seasons of service, 1 as our starting QB. A 4,731-yard season with 32 touchdowns was part of the story, going 7-9 was the other half of it. He sat behind Bennett Morris and Ellis McAlister after that.

Fullback Gilbert Taliancich goes out at his peak, being the All-IHOF fullback for the last two seasons. 0 career carries, 29 career catches, Taliancich was a blocker for 11 season. 101 key run blocks, 297 opportunities. These are numbers of decent offensive linemen. Taliancich ranks highly amongst fullbacks in IHOF history in run blocking.

Safety Ben Gilbert played 9 seasons with us. Last season in a relief role, before that usually as a starter. His pass defense numbers aren't overly impressive, he was usually just there. 419 career tackles, 11 interceptions, 43 defended passes.

Linebacker Alexis Turner spent 12 seasons with us in 2 stints. His stat sheets says it was 12 seasons straight, but the Solecismic record books will count the post-camp singing in 2070 as a new start. 1 tackle in 12 seasons, what's up with that? Nothing shocking, really. Turner was a special teamer, made 190 special teams tackles for us.

The league office press department also reported the retirement of CB Ezra Slocum, WR Patrick Henry, RB Skip Clemons, G Bryson Hamilton, DT Willie Turner and T Liam Bell.

Slocum spent 3 seasons on our roster, 2 as a starter. What a waste of money. Wait, did I write that out loud?

Henry was a backup with us, mostly.

Clemons a one-year starter with 1,290 yards and 8 touchdowns. We just didn't want to pay him starter money. He moved on, but nowhere got even close to the playing time he got with us.

Hamilton was a backup, he was active in just 2 games in 5 seasons.

Willie Turner was a backup with us, active in 133 games. Cap woes made me cut him last off-season.

And then there was Liam Bell. Was with us for 5 seasons, active in 5 games. He was picked and kept for sentimental reasons. God speed.

Back to business.
We're $124M over the cap, projected at $153M over the cap after draft picks. We're holding the #11 and #14 overall picks, as well as the #45 and #46 picks.

I'm somewhat torn between getting a major rebuild going, or do what we usually do. It's worth considering to trade a couple of our expensive players. Antonio Battle in particular has the fourth highest cap figure in the league, $73.26M puts him just behind a threesome of veteran quarterbacks. It might be a busier than usual off-season...

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 03-15-2019 at 03:05 PM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote