View Single Post
Old 06-14-2015, 07:15 PM   #41
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

2038 WTC Level 2-3 Playoffs
Sri Lanka vs. Nigeria

Grass, not the favorite surface for either nation, was selected for this tie. I didn't expect it to matter much.

Monday: A. Mehul d. Y. Bozza, 6-3, 6-1, 6-1
Tuesday: A. Chittoor d. G. Vittoz, 5-7, 6-3, 6-4, 6-2
Wednesday: G. Vittoz/D. Labbe d. A. Chittoor/P. Nilima, 6-3, 6-2, 6-2
Thursday: A. Mehul d. G. Vittoz, 7-5, 6-1, 6-2
Friday: A. Chittoor d. Y. Bozza, 6-0, 6-2, 6-4

Another 4-1 win means more disappointment for the Nigerians while we gain another promotion, joining Level 2 for the 2039 season! Only one step away from the prestigious top tier now. Vittoz gave his best effort in the first set against both of our players, but was worn down after that. A typical tie for us, impregnable in singles but the doubles was a match to forget for us.

After moving up from 86th to 67th a year ago, in 2038 Sri Lanka makes a similar upward move to 51st at year's end. As is always the case this time of year the turnaround is quick. Objectively I think we are better than most in Level 2 but not as good as most of the nations in the elite top level, so there is a significant chance a third straight promotion might not come -- or if it does, that we won't be able to hold it.

First things first, of course. Chinese Taipei(25th), Italy(10th), and Japan(36th) are our competitors in Group 3 for the new year. Despite their ranking Italy is a power in decline: this will be their fifth straight year at this level. Actually has been a power in decline would be more accurate. A narrow 3-2 loss to tiny Monaco and their rising star Veniard is all that kept them from rejoining the best for this year. I would put us as co-favorites with the Italians to win the group, Taipei is a sinking ship with aging star Dou-wan Chou their only threat but Japan has a couple of decent players and should probably finish third. I think we have very good chances to make it out of group play once again. We'll first meet Japan, and a win there should all but guarantee it.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote