View Single Post
Old 07-21-2016, 04:14 PM   #435
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Sri Lanka Rankings Update

Girish Girsh -- 1st singles(unchanged). Iglar still looms as a potential challenger to hold off. Girsh was champion or runner-up in the three remaining big events, and he'll need another performance similar to that to keep his throne most likely.

Anil Mehul -- 2nd singles(unchanged). Winning the USO was probably just a stay of execution in terms of keeping his spot here, but still a great thing. Right now his overall record is on pace to be his worst in the last six years. I'm interested to see which player finishes out the year; the one who won the AO and USO, or the one who was very vulnerable most of the rest of the campaign.

Prakash Mooljee -- 25th to 21st singles, 249th to 350th doubles. Mooljee has lost three straight matches, all of them very close, all of which I had him a slight-to-moderate favorite in. He'd have progressed a little more had he won any of them, and he probably should have won two. Hopefully this won't affect his confidence too much. Having said that, it'll take considerable work for him to ascend up the rankings. Here's how the points look:

19. Perry Mockler -- 2250
20. Xavier Caminha -- 1745
21. Prakash Mooljee -- 1725
22. Sava Cirakovic -- 1530

To get past 20th, there's a big 500-point jump there with the spots above that more closely bunched together; Mockler is only about 700 short of being in the Top 10. The task right now for Mooljee is to turn around this recent run of frustrating defeats, and edge his way closer to that 10-19 group. Catching them before the end of the year seems unlikely.

Shreya Ujjaval -- 35th to 32nd singles, 79th to 78th doubles. Ujjaval is now 0-7 in the third round of Slams, including the last three US Opens and the last three Slams of this year. That seems almost impossible unless it was intentional. I thought he'd probably get Benda this last try, and he almost did. Nonetheless, getting seeded was a big deal for him and he makes it four Sri Lankans to have reached elite status. Heady stuff for us, it's nice to have a little bit of help from one of my cast-offs.

Shyam Senepathy -- 132nd to 82nd singles! A big-time rise for the much-maligned Senepathy over the past couple of months has been punctuated by his first Slam win just achieved, and before that a couple of challenger wins and a near-miss. I don't know how much higher he'll go, I don't see him making the Top 50 or better but we'll see what happens. He's still playing too much, so that won't help.

Ritwik Dudwadkar -- 210th to 234th juniors. It's been a season of yo-yoing back and forth a bit but basically treading water at not-quite-good-enough to leave the Tier-4 juniors. Probably he won't make the jump until next year when a bunch more players 'graduate'.

Manager Ranking -- 2nd(unchanged), 42.1k to 43.9k points. The long chase continues.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote