View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #320
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
On DVC....

How exactly do the points transfer between properties? Being in CA, if we buy in at the Grand Californian, what is the point penalty(?) for going to Florida and staying at the Wilderness Lodge, or doing a Disney cruise? I guess I'm confused that you bought points at 2 and possibly 3 places. Is that $16K per location, or are you just buying additional points and you chose to go to GF instead of AK.

Again... Mrs Glen here.

There's no point penalty, as long as you're in the Disney resorts. You do have a "home" resort, where you get 10 month priority booking. Any other resort, you get 7 month priority (so you are almost guaranteed your home resort unless it's the week of Christmas, and don't get in on the 10 month exact date). If you go out of the Disney resorts (you can use your points at RCI resorts), there is a $95 transaction fee per occurrence. The $$ amount depends on how many points you get. You can bank, and/or borrow points for a year in advance. So, I have 160 points right now at AKL. If I banked a year, the next year I could use 480 if I borrowed for the following year as well. A lot of people will buy in, then if they want to add, buy in a different resort, and only buy 1/2 the points they need. Then they bank at one of their two resorts every year, and can use double the points in the year they are using at that particular resort.