View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 07:05 PM   #27
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Which is a nice change from how defense/space contractors usually go about their business.

Actually, most contractors are publicly traded companies and have to make announcements that impact business (which failures do). SpaceX, as a private company, has no such responsibility and as such says very little (though info gets out and is fairly interesting to read in industry press). I've said it before and I'll say it again, they've had a lot of issues that normal people have no idea what's happening--they just see Musk tweet that he's awesome and they agree because he's not the government. I'm not saying that there's anything like full disclosure (nor could there be with a lot of defense stuff) but at least you know when s**t's broken, especially if it's being funded in large part with public dollars. This was a private launch for a private company so Musk had no reason he had to say anything. But he did, which is very atypical for him.

Quote:
On the same day, this is announced, which I think is more a political move but is intriguing what might come out of it.

I actually didn't read the article I linked, I had read a different version of the story that didn't point out that the congressdweebs were from states where competitors were based. I actually can't really think of which specific companies in particular raised this concern/where they're based, so when I read the article, I assumed it was political and less...technical.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote