View Single Post
Old 07-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #31
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
But don't kid yourself that public companies are all that forthcoming themselves. There are plenty of ways to bury / obfuscate / defer reporting / etc... in the documentation that public companies are required to complete.

I wasn't trying to say/imply that. What I was pointing out is that Musk (unlike most CEO's)/SpaceX in general (unlike most companies) has had a way of making it sound like he's perfect and he's doing things never been done and that he's doing it perfectly. On the one hand, he's getting people excited (so yay) but on the other, he's amazingly good at only telling people the positive and not making them think to question it. Then he goes and calls "unfair" in the news/press because SpaceX (until this most recent launch) wasn't eligible to even bid for defense launches, in part because of the issues they've had and in part because they're not following the rules. Musk is very talented at spin, and it is simultaneously good and bad. To see him actually "admit" that something didn't work was surprising.

I was recently at a family gathering and found that my sister-in-law's brother-in-law (her sister's husband) just started working for SpaceX. He doesn't have background in the space industry and it's amazing how much HE didn't seem to know about the issues SpaceX has had, which was pretty...well, amazing.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote