View Single Post
Old 10-27-2018, 02:14 PM   #1029
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
And he's already moved on to victim blaming by saying they should've been armed inside the synagogue. Fuck this guy and everybody who supports him or tries to gaslight with "both sides" nonsense.

There are 350000 or so religious congregations in the United States. Let's say you could figure out a way to cover every service with one guard per congregation, so 350000 armed, trained security guards. There are less than 670000 police officers in the United States. Where are these people coming from? And don't forget that you need multiple guards for each of the 130000 or so schools in the United States. This idea is going to need at least a million new armed, trained guards.

I'm an elder in my church, so I know our budget problems well, and we're very similar to tens of thousands of other congregations. Let's say we can find a part-time guard for every service at the incredibly reasonable cost of 10000 a year. That would mean we end our local and global mission work and put all that money and more towards a security guard. Not only would we feel like a bunker, we'd basically be that as our connection to the rest of the world would completely end.

Even if you accept the very problematic issue of worshipping in an armed environment, the practical realities make this and arming school guards terrible ideas.