View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 01:13 PM   #112
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick
I think I like WSUCougar's version better, but here goes.

- Prologue has the most action, but introduces 15 new characters that you'll never see again.

- Mat creeps across Altara at roughly 50 feet per day, flirting with the 12 year old boy that apparently is his future wife. Kills a chick who tries to escape and tattle on him.

- Perrin sees ghosts and other sundry crap. Whines a lot. Doesn't make any progress.

- Lots of Elayne chapters involving sniffing, scoffing, and political stuff that would interest me if I was reading a non-fiction book. Nothing happens. No girl on girl scenes involving her and Aviendha, which is the only way to save this plotline.

- Egwene whines about headaches being given her by Halima, then at the end, they actually go out to close off the harbors to Tar Valon, and she gets her idiot self captured by the Tower.

- Rand sleeps a lot, has two chapters, I think, and at the end agrees through Bashere to meet the "Daughter of the Nine Moons" and Suroth of the Seanchan, which is interesting, considering where she actually is.

I think that was about it. Oh, and lots more sniffing.
I think this could help me. I've tried to make it through this book, but just can't. I keep wondering if I'm reading about characters I should know about, or if they are completely new. This summary might have suffice as enough preparation to read the next book.

At one time I wrote a lengthy comparison of my feelings regarding the Wheel of Time series, and Tolkein's work. In the end I summed up by saying that I currently found the WoT more appealing, so Jordan was ever so slightly "ahead", but noted that as Jordan continued to write, Tolkein continued to make up ground. Were I to revisit this now, I would summarize that Jordan has fallen from his horse, which is now grazing contentedly on the infield grass, and that Tolkein is riding on apparently unchallenged toward the finish line. Wait, who is that coming up on Tolkein's heels? Oh hey that's G.R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire closing fast.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 09-26-2005 at 01:13 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote