View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 01:33 PM   #113
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
I think this could help me. I've tried to make it through this book, but just can't. I keep wondering if I'm reading about characters I should know about, or if they are completely new. This summary might have suffice as enough preparation to read the next book.

At one time I wrote a lengthy comparison of my feelings regarding the Wheel of Time series, and Tolkein's work. In the end I summed up by saying that I currently found the WoT more appealing, so Jordan was ever so slightly "ahead", but noted that as Jordan continued to write, Tolkein continued to make up ground. Were I to revisit this now, I would summarize that Jordan has fallen from his horse, which is now grazing contentedly on the infield grass, and that Tolkein is riding on apparently unchallenged toward the finish line. Wait, who is that coming up on Tolkein's heels? Oh hey that's G.R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire closing fast.

Ironically, I have the three ASOIAF books, but I've now decided after Jordan that I'm not spending any money on any unfinished fantasy series. So I just stick it on a Christmas list every year. One slow writing bastard getting my money is enough at any one time. After Feast, I'll probably break down and do an indepth reading of the series. I'm just holding off as long as possible because then I'll be pissed along with the rest of y'all when it takes him 5 more years to get book 6 out after a quick turn around for 5 (which is supposedly half-finished already)

I always viewed Tolkein as being the "modern creator" of fantasy, and as such, really uncomparable with modern authors. Some of them write better, some of them have better dialogue, or even a better plot, but he revived the genre, and most of them are building off of him.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote