View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 03:38 PM   #57
sabotai
General Manager

The Last of the Mohicans (1920)
Directed By: Maurice Tourneur, Clarence Brown
Starring: Wallace Beery, Barbera Bedford, Alan Roscoe, Lillian Hall
Length: 73 min.

It's not going to be easy for a movie to follow up a great movie like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. This film is regarded well, but I did not like it much and it may have to do with it being watched after watching a movie I loved.

The Monro sisters, along with Major Duncan Heyward and psalmist David Gamut, are being led to Fort William Henry by an indian guide, Magua. They get lost and Magua disappears when they come across a scout named Hawkeye and his indian friends, Uncas and Chingackgook. Cora Monro is immediately drawn towards Uncas.

Magua was setting up an ambush but coming across Hawkeye and his Mohican friends ruined it. However, they are still in trouble as they seek a cave for hiding. Magua and his party end up fidning them and taking the Munros, Heyward and Gamut prisoner. Another battle ensues as Hawkeye and the Mohicans try to free them.

They eventually end up in a "trial"-like situation where the cheif sets the young, blonde haired Monro free, but the dark-haired Cora Monro is sent off with Magua. Uncas follows them. Cora finds an edge of a cliff and threatens to jump if Magua does not let her go, so they play the waiting game as Magua sits and waits for Cora to fall asleep. A long time passes, and just as Uncas reaches them, Cora wakes up as Magua tries to grab her and jumps. Magua and Uncas fight, and Magua wins by killing Uncas. Hawkeye returns the favor, and shoots Magua dead. After this, a long funeral scene ends the movie.

The film was, in a word, boring. There's not much more to say than that. The acting was bad, the directing was decent, however. The ending just didn't make much sense. Uncas says he's going to follow them to Magua and Cora as they are leaving the village, yet she still jumps instead of waiting for rescue. And the funeral scene...just end the damn movie already!

Historically it's rated decent. It's preserved in the Library of Congress, and is one of the more highly regarded adaptations of the book. Having not read the book, I do not know how faithful the adaptation was.

Entertainment, again, boring. I just couldn't really get into the movie. Some of the fighting scenes were hard to follow. The pace was up and down like crazy. Sometimes it would go a long time before anything really happened, and then you're smacked with a lot of hard to follow action. A bad rating on this type of movie is pretty bad coming from me, as this is one of the types of movies I generally enjoy.

Historical Rating: 5/10
Entertainment Rating: 3/10

Last edited by sabotai : 05-03-2009 at 09:38 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote