View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 12:45 AM   #83
sabotai
General Manager

Upcoming Movies

These are in no particular order. I'll be watching them in order by year, but I'll watch them in any order within the year.

1922 (2 Left)
Tess of the Storm Country - Drama
Nosferatu - Horror / German

1923 (8 Movies)
The Shock - Crime Drama
The Ten Commandments - Epic Drama
Safety Last - Comedy
Our Hospitality - Comedy
The Hunchback of Notre Dame - Drama / Horror
Salome - Drama
Why Worry? - Comedy
A Woman of Paris - Drama

1924 (9 Movies)
The Last Laugh - Drama / German
The Navigator - Comedy
Thief of Bagdad - Adventure
Mikael - Drama / Romance / German
Aelita - Adventure / Sci-Fi / Russia
Girl Shy - Comedy
The Last Laugh - Drama / German
The Marriage Circle - Comedy
Sherlock, Jr. - Comedy

1925 (11 Movies)

Tumbleweeds - Western
Wizard of Oz - Fantasy
The Lost World - Fantasy
Strike (Strachka) - Drama / Russia
Ben-Hur - Epic Drama
Don Q, Son of Zorro - Adventure
Seven Chances - Comedy
The Gold Rush - Comedy
Battleship Potemkin - Drama / Russia
The Phantom of the Opera - Drama / Horror
The Freshman - Comedy

1925 was originally up to 15 movies, but I'm making an effort to keep it under 10 movies per year so that it's actually possible to do this. I still may cut another movie or two from 1925 to get it down a bit, but I don't see anymore I can cut. The comedies I have listed are considered classics, Tumbleweeds is, I think, the first Western I've had a chance to see, Wizard of Oz and The Lost World are musts, Strike and Battleship Potemkim are musts, Phantom of the Opera is considered one of Lon Chaney's best pictures, so that's a must, Ben-Hur is considered a classic and is a must. I may chop off Don Q to get it to 10 movies (my soft limit), but that's a bit unique in that's it's, I think, the first sequal I get to watch (after watching the original).

Lost Films, Not on DVD or Cut

The Covered Wagon - No DVD
The Daring Years - No DVD, Lost Film
Souls For Sale - No DVD

The Covered Wagon would have been the first Western I would have seen, but alas, no DVD for that so I'll have to settle for 1925's Tumbleweeds.

Ballet Mécanique - Can't get
Greed - "Lost Film", No DVD
He Who Gets Slapped - No DVD
The Iron Horse - Western - Not on Netflix
Janice Meredith - Romantic Comedy - No DVD
Monsieur Beacaire - Romance - No DVD
Peter Pan - Action / Fantasy - Not on Netflix
The Sea Hawk Swashbuckler - No DVD

A couple of movies here I'm disappointed I can't watch. Greed is considered a lost film, even though there is a version you can watch. It was originally 10 hours long. It was shortened considerably and the cut out portions were destroyed. The final, stripped down version was a flop and was destroyed by critics.

From what I've read about Peter Pan, I'm going to be missing out. Netflix does not have the DVD, but there is a DVD out of the movie (on Amazon for $27). Oh well, nothing I can do about that, except buy it, which I'm not going to do.

The Plastic Age - Romantic Comedy - Cut
Go West - Comedy - Cut
The Eagle - Adventure/Romance/Comedy - Cut
The Unholy Three - Crime / Drama* - Cut

The Big Parade - War / Romance - No DVD
The Heartbreaker - Comedy - No DVD
The Merry Widow - Romance - No DVD
The Monster - Comedy / Horror - No DVD
The Pleasure Garden - Crime Drama - No DVD
Thou Shalt Honor Thy Wife - Comedy / Danish - No DVD
Wolf Blood - Horror - No DVD

Go West is a Buster Keaton comedy. I cut it off the list since I also have Seven Chances for 1925, which is considered a much better Buster Keaton comedy. The Unholy Three is up on YouTube, so when I get to 1925, I might add it back to my list since it would be very easy for me to find the time to watch it (since I could watch it in parts, and not have to worry about Netflix turnaround).

The Big Parade is a highly prasied film, and it's not on DVD. A bit disappointed since it's a movie that takes place during WWI, something I have yet to be able to see.

Wolf Blood and The Monster both sounded like interesting movies. Wolf Blood may have been the first movie to show werewolves.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, The Pleasure Garden was Alfred Hitchcock's first movie that he directed. Shame I don't get to see it. It looks like The Lodger, released in 1927, will be the first Hitchcok movie I will get to see.

Last edited by sabotai : 03-04-2007 at 06:27 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote