View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #57
AnalBumCover
College Starter

ZR5K: Week 5, Workout 1

With the heat wave coming, I've moved my running sessions to the evening time after putting my daughter to bed.
Doc Myers joined me on today's run. We're remaining inside Abel Township so no danger of zombies today.

5 min walking
5 min free-form run
---
30 sec walk
1 min slow run
6 heel lifts
(repeat 8 times)
---
10 min free-form run
5 min stretching
10 min free-form run

Midway through our run we were joined by Janine. She was quite interested in what Sam was planning on doing regarding the nearby settlements and that she had some information that Sam might need. Doc was hesitant in disclosing anything to Janine, but ensured that Sam would be grateful for the help.

After the run, Janine rewarded me with a bar of soap.

Story: Take on the first session in the second half of your training schedule.

"An offer of help from Janine today. Seems like she cares about Sam more than she lets on."
The start of the second half of my 5K training ended on a sour note. At the closing stretch of this run, I suffered what I later learned to be Runner's Knee. I just couldn't put any more high impact on my left leg, so I just walked the remaining distance.

When I got home, I immediately put on a cold pack and a knee strap. Luckily I had one from back in my more active, basketball playing days.

Anyways, I'll be taking some time off from running and will be looking for alternative forms of exercise. Unfortunately I don't have access to a swimming pool or a bicycle. When I return, I'll have to cut down on my mileage and ease myself back to form and to not overwork the knee. It's a shame too - I was on track to hit the 80K May Massive badge by the end of the month.

I did 4 miles on this run, but I'm not sure whether I should count this toward my list of achievements.

Strava Stats:
5/14: 4.0mi - 1:11:22 - 17:38/mi