View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #121
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

So this week is my wife's and my yearly trip where we sneak off without any kids for a few days to celebrate our anniversary. It actually is a pretty event filled period of a few days with the 4th of July, my wife's birthday and our anniversary all within a 4 day period. What we do is take turns planning our anniversary trip as a surprise for the other person. They don't know where we are going, how long we will be there, how we are getting there or anything. Just told the night/day before what they need to pack and off we go.

This year is my turn to plan the trip, and since we've been trying to be a bit more fit this past year, I decided to plan it around some "running destinations" so to speak. Now before anyone thinks that I have gone completely off my rocker, I didn't plan the entire focus of the trip around running. However it was definitely something that I considered when planning things. My wife asked me this morning what she needed to pack, so I told her the various clothes she would need.. oh and bring 3 days worth of running clothes and your running shoes.

So the plan this year is that we'll drive up to Niagara Falls tomorrow during the day and check in to the hotel some point mid-afternoon. She is supposed to run 3 miles tomorrow and I have a 5 mile run, I figured it would be pretty cool to run along the river there near where the falls are as it looks according to my running maps as a pretty popular running trail plus should have nice scenery I am hoping. Obviously we'll be there for the fireworks at night as well.

The next day we check out and drive an hour or two up to Toronto where we spend the next day. That will actually be her birthday, so we'll go out and stuff. She has an off day from running, but I have to figure out when/where I am going to run 6 miles without abandoning her for an hour. I might end up getting in trouble from my schedule on this day. Obviously the trip is the most important thing and if I can't keep my running schedule, then it won't kill me I suppose. Still eager to try to maintain the schedule through the trip.

After a day in Toronto, we head out a little further east to Kingston, Ontario later on Saturday. We'll probably spend a while longer in Toronto doing stuff before we go. Kingston is going to be more a place to sleep Saturday night than anything else. Sunday morning is when I have the running part of the trip planned. I've signed her and I up for the Sydenham Lakeside 5k race on Sunday morning. The race is reportedly a scenic one to run as it is part of the Trans-Canada Trail along side Sydenham Lake. I am not actually planning on racing this race, was going to run this one with my wife to keep her company/pace her.

After the super-hot 10k we ran on June 1st, my wife got a little discouraged about the summer heat. Even though it is further north from us, the weather there probably won't be much cooler though, so hoping for a lucky cooler morning, but that seems to be doubtful from the early looks at the weather forecast right now. One of the other things that was a bonus for this race was that this race gives out medals to finishers. One of the things my wife has been commenting about the races I pick out, that she really wants a medal. We'll get one from the half-marathon we are planning to do in September, but otherwise the only other medal we've gotten thus far was from the zombie run that we did. So I'm hoping that is a nice little touch for her.

After the race, we pretty much head back home, with that finishing off the trip. I'm hoping that it is a good balance of being able to see the sites, having stuff to do and keeping on our active schedules and not over-eat like I tend to do during most trips.. I guess we will see how it goes!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote