View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #204
sabotai
General Manager

Can't believe it's been almost a year since I updated this. I went to catch up on TV shows that made it to DVD, modern movies, etc. and just lost track of how much time had gone by.

Anyway, here's a quick list of reviews.

The Broadway Melody
- The first "all-talkie" to win the Academy Award for Best Picture. It's a story of two sisters that head to New York to become big stars. A love triangle emerges as the boyfriend of the older sister becomes infatuated with the younger. Not exactly "Best Picture material IMO. I think it scored points mainly for being "all-talkie" plus it had a technicolor scene (lost). One of those "Best Pictures" to win mainly for technological achievements rather than being the best movie. 5/10

The Hollywood Revue of 1929 - Remember those TV shows where they would have actors from a lot of different shows? They were basically commercials for upcoming shows and to highlight talent? I have vague memories of them....anyway, this was like them. Nothing but actors coming on, doing a song or a skit and then it was off to the next star. A TV Variety show before TV. And like variety shows on TV, this was pretty terrible. 2/10

The Vagabond Lover - In order to get a big star talent to hear their music, a band breaks into his home in the dead of night and start playing. However, the guy isn't home and the police come. Since the big talent was new to the area, no one knows what he looks like so the band leader, to avoid jail, says that he is, in fact, Mr. Big Shot. Hilarity ensues. Well, not much hilarity, but I did like some of the songs. It follows the standard case-of-mistaken-identity plot line with a predictable outcome. Maybe not predictable at the time, but movies are still following this standard plot outline. 6/10

The Locked Door - Another film that pretty much highlights the difference between now and then. A woman accepts a date with a man who ends up taking her to a "rum boat". Basically, a ship that heads into international waters so it can serve alcohol during prohibition. When the ship drifts into US waters, it's raided and a photo is taken of the woman with the guy. 18 months later, she's married to someone else and the douchebag starts dating her younger sister. She tries to protect her sister, but it would be a huge scandal if it got out that the two have a (brief) past. 7/10

The Cocoanuts - My first Marx Brothers film. It was actually a bit of a let down. I thought Harpo was hilarious in it, but not so much the others. Groucho runs a hotel in Florida, Zeppo assists him and Chico and Harpo are the bad guys looking to steal from the guests. Not all that funny IMO. Hoping they get better in the future. 5/10

Ok, that's it. Too long in 1929 and too ambitious with my movie list. (I always do that! Get into something and then go overboard with it. ) Looking back at previous posts, I've been in 1929 for a year and a half! I'm moving on to 1930. For now on, no more than 12 movies for a year, and I'll do my best to come under that. That should cover the major Academy Awards movies a some of the movies that aren't "Academy" material, but classics nonetheless.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote