Old 03-04-2018, 02:42 PM   #220
sabotai
General Manager

Frankenstein (1931)

Directed By: James whale
Starring: Colin Clive, Mae Clarke, John Boles, Boris Karloff
Length: 80 min.
Genre: Horror

The first scene of this movie is Henry Frankenstein and his assistant Fritz digging up a grave. Scene 2 is them cutting down someone who was hanged. Scene 3 is of Fritz stealing a brain from a college. So, you know it's going to be a good movie.

I'm sure everyone knows the basic plot. "It's alive!", monster escapes, town hunts it down and kills him.

I enjoyed this one a bit more than Dracula. The acting was not silent-style acting. No over the top body language. The acting was more subtle, more suited for sound. Of course, the monster was over the top...but, you know, he's a monster. The actor, Boris Karloff, was also wearing 11 pound shoes (11 pounds each) to make him look taller.

This movie started Karloff's career as a movie-monster actor. He'll play Frankenstein's Monster several more times, Imhotep in 1932's The Mummy, as well as other. And along with him, Jack Pierce, the makeup artist behind Karloff's now iconic version of Frankenstein's monster. They go on to have a long lasting partnership in this genre.

My Rating: 7/10
IMDB User Rating: 7.9/10 (54k votes)
Rotten Tomatoes: 100% critics (45), 87% of Audience (3.8 / 5 ; 41k votes)

Last edited by sabotai : 05-25-2018 at 06:03 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote