Old 04-07-2018, 12:38 PM   #229
sabotai
General Manager

The Most Dangerous Game (1932)

Directed By: Irving Pichel, Ernest B. Schoedsack
Starring: Joel McCrea, Fay Wray, Leslie Banks, Robert Armstrong
Length: 62 min.
Genre: Adventure, Horror
Based On: "The Most Dangerous Game" short story by Richard Connell (1924)

Apparently I'm way off on this one. Critics love it, 100% on RT with 77% with fans, IMDB has it at 7.2. Personally, I thought the movie as awful.

The movie starts off with a world famous big game hunter on a ship with several other people. They are having an plot-obvious conversation on if the big game hunter would be willing to trade places with his prey. The ship wrecks and the big game hunter is the only survivor.

He makes his way to a large house. He meets a Russian Count named Zaroff who happens to love hunting and has read everything our hero has written on hunting. He also meets two other shipwreck survivors, a brother and sister. The sister warns the big game hunter that something weird is going on.

Our hero and the sister sneak around and find Zaroff's trophy room and it's filled human heads. Zaroff shows up with the brother, now dead as he had just been hunted. Zaroff tries to recruit the big game hunter to hunt with him, he refuses, and then Zaroff decides to hunt the hunter. Our hero ends up winning and escapes the island with the sister.

So yeah, like I said, I'm apparently way off on this one. I thought just about everything about this movie was bad. I'll give it credit for the acting. It wasn't filled with silent-era style acting like a lot of movies at this time. So it gets a point there. And it gets a point for some nice action scenes. However, I hated just about everything else in this movie. It was just barely over an hour long, and I was checking how much time was left before I even hit the 30 minute mark (27 minutes, to be exact). One of the worst movies ever going by my "How long did it take for me to check how much time was left" standard.

My Rating: 4/10
IMDB User Rating: 7.2/10 (8k votes)
Rotten Tomatoes: 100% (16-0), 77% of Audience (3.6 / 5 ; 3k votes)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote