生さぬ仲 (1932)
Nasanu naka
English Title: No Blood Relation

Directed By: Naruse Mikio
Starring: Okada Yoshiko, Nara Shinyou, Tsukuba Yukiko
Length: 79 min.
Genre: Family Drama
Based On:

Naruse's oldest suvriving feature length film.

The film starts off with a purse snatching. What jumped out at me was the use of a "zoom in" on the title card of the word "Theif!". It was jarring, in a good way. And Naruse did this several times in the movie which was very effective.

Throughout the movie, Naruse used a lot of camera movement. A lot of "zoom ins" (cameras at the time could not zoom in, so the zoom in was really a use of a dolly to pull off the effect), along with panning, tracking shots, etc. Unfortunately, cameras being what they were back then, a lot of his camera movement (especially the zoom ins) meant a lot of out of focus shots as well. But I loved the experimenting he did on the movie with the camera, as well as the editing. I even saw a few overlays with the title cards. This journey has gone on for a long time, but I can't remember seeing a title card overlayed on top of a shot before. It was just a few times, a "Later that day" over video of a tree. Something like that.

As for the story, the movie is about a successful actress returning from Hollywood. She had left for America several years ago, leaving behind a husband and child. He had remarried, and the child had grown up thinking her step mother was her mother. And that was the explicitly stated (by one of the characters) theme of the movie: Giving birth to a child does not make you a mother, raising a child makes you a mother.

The actress, with the help of her criminal brother and his lackey, takes advantage of the family's financial struggle to get her former mother-in-law to bring the child to her home. The second part of the movie is the step-mother's attempt to get the child back.

The plot was very "meh", a few "well that was a hell of a coincidence" moments, and a very over the top happy ending. The actress leaves all her money to her child, the child goes back to her family and the actress, along with her brother and his lackey, head to America.

I loved the film from a "film study" perspective, but didn't enjoy the story much.

My Rating: 6/10
IMDB User Rating: 6.9/10 (253 votes)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote