sabotai
General Manager

Vampyr (1932)

Directed By: Carl Theodor Dreyer
Written By: Carl Theodor Dreyer , Julian West
Starring: Julian West, Maurice Schutz, Rena Mandel, Jan Hieronimko
Length: 73 min.
Genre: Horror

This movie was a sound/silent hybrid. Early on, much of the story is advanced through title cards, even though the movie has sound. This, funny enough, gave it a somewhat modern feel, as, like in a silent movie, there was music through most of the movie. The reason seems to be because the movie was being made in 3 languages, Dreyer kept the dialog to a minimum.

The eerie soundtrack, little dialog, and great use of shadows and visual effects made this a great mind-fuck movie.

While staying at an inn one night, Allan Gray is woken by an old man coming into his room. He leaves a package on the table and leaves. The note on the package says "To be opened upon my death". Gray follows the man, guided by shadows, to an old castle.

From there, all kinds of weird ship happens.

This movie was mostly panned by critics on release, and it seems Dreyer didn't direct another film until the 1940s. Maybe 1932 wasn't ready for Mindfuck Horror. I thought it was great.

The visual effects and camera work were top notch, as they usually were for directors from Europe. They had an eye for it the way movie makers from other parts of the world just hadn't developed yet. Although Dreyer's previous movie was The Passion of Joan of Arc, which I did not care for. At least, back in 2009 when I watched it. I wonder if my opinion on it would be different now...

One downside, at least from watching it on Filmstruck, is that the title cards are in German. It does show subtitles, but the subtitles are white, and the text on the title cards are white, so the subtitles are hard to read during the titlecards, downright impossible a few times. Fortunately for me, while I'm not fluent in German, I know enough that I got the gist of what each title card said.

A creepy, mind-fuck of a horror movie, great visual effects, one of the best movies on 1932.

My Rating: 8/10
IMDB User Rating: 7.6/10 (12k votes)
Rotten Tomatoes: 100% of Critics (30-0), 82% of Audience (3.9 / 5 ; 6k votes)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote