View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 08:29 AM   #246
revrew
Team Chaplain

We're No. 1! We're No. 1!
Jason Todd, Des Moines Register

At the beginning of the season, I don't think anyone would have predicted the Des Moines Dragons would be where they are today – ranked No. 1 in the ESPN Power Rankings!

But it's not an undeserved honor. At the end of the season's first quarter, the Dragons are one of the NFL's only three undefeated teams, having outscored their opponents 121-52 across four victorious contests. The Dragons are #1 in the NFL in pass completion percentage (77.0) AND yards per attempt (8.99). On the other side of the ball, the Dragon D is only allowing opponents to complete 50 percent of their passes for a paltry 4.8 yards per attempt, both marks good for second best among NFL defenses. The Dragon O is averaging 397 yards and 30.3 points per game, while the D is only giving up 243 yards and 13.0 points per contest. In short, Des Moines is winning on both sides of the ball.

What cause, this burst of efficiency and dominance?

Some, naturally, will point to new Head Coach Josh McDaniels. A reasonable supposition.

Others will credit the defense. All-Pro SS Mitch Plante is having his best season yet, breaking up 7 passes, while only allowing 6 completions, and his 89-yard pick-6 will be a highlight film for years to come. DE Elias "Beast" Reese is having a career year, as well, on pace for 24 sacks on the season and over 40 hurries. Injured or not, he's been unstoppable.

But truth be told, we've seen the Dragon D be dominant before.

The big difference this season has been the outstanding play of QB Dakota Corriveau. His 111.7 QB rating, if it held to season's end, would be the best mark of his career by 25 points. He's on pace for nearly 5,000 yards and 30 TDs. If he keeps it up, he should be considered for league MVP.

What happened? Is Coach McDaniels really a QB whisperer? Is the 6th year the charm (though, to be honest, he showed signs of breaking out last year)? Is it the emergence of reliable target WR Robbie Thompson or our outlet extraordinaire, FB Dwight Stanton? Maybe a little of all of the above.

But … but … can it continue?

I don't want to burst this bubble. I don't want to point to a team decimated by injuries, including at center, where the Dragons don't have a player left who can give the ball to Corriveau. I don't want to talk about the schedule getting tougher.

Instead, let us just bask in this moment. The Dragons have been mediocre for most of their seasons in Des Moines – but not today. Today, the Dragons sit alone atop the Power Ratings. Today, if just for a moment, Iowa fans are telling the truth when they raise their foam fingers and declare, "We're No. 1! We're No. 1!"
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote