View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 12:46 PM   #49
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
To me, except for a few issues, McCain and Clinton are pretty much the same politicians ...so in a race between them people vote for their parties ... and with a lot of Dems fired up about getting rid of Bush and a lot of Republicans lukewarm about McCain - I can see a very good chance of a Dem victory.

Now Obama is far to the left of Clinton (especially after she tried to edge toward the middle for broader appeal), I think he's ranked as one of the most left-leaning members of the Senate. Other than his brief time in the Senate, he has NO resume or accomplishments to speak of (unless he wants to tout being the first black man nominated by a political party for president)....at least Jimmy Carter could say he had been in the military and was the governor of a state. In addition, I think we now start to hear a lot more about his associations with Rezko, Giannoulias, Ayers, not to mention his kook ex-pastor. Admit it or not, there is a split in the Democrat party that rivals anything among Republicans at the moment, and depending on how Clinton is handled by Obama and the party heading into the Convention, will determine whether her supporters hop on the bandwagon, vote for McCain or stay home. Also, I think an Obama candidacy causes a lot of Republicans to vote who otherwise might have stayed home, because as lukewarm as they might be toward McCain...Clinton is the devil they know...Obama is the great unknown.

I'd certainly disagree here. In a normal election cycle yeah, sure, but this is a vote on the war and the declining economy. The country as a whole is getting tired and democrats have been voting in record numbers. It's very naive to think that those numbers are going to just stay home now ( oh gee, only Hillary could solve this mess, might as well stay at home - that's insulting. Oh gee, Hillary lost, only McCain can solve this mess is equally as insulting. Plus I think more republicans would have voted against Hillary due to the Clinton name. Apparently I'm reading different conservative boards than you are here ) that Hillary lost. It's about being fed up with the status quo not pro any candidate at this point. I just don't see a huge fallout no matter which candidate would have won the nomination.