View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 06:22 PM   #306
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
First I've heard of these, TK.

Let us know if they're worth the download.

Thanks!

Hmm.

Well, I listened to all the episodes (10 are out so far, and 2-10 are ones that actually have meat to them).

I must say, I'm torn on them. They are done by a guy (Dan) and a girl (Kate) who apparently were roommates in college or some such, and both enjoyed the series a lot. Each episode is about 30 minutes long.

When these guys are on topic, they're pretty decent. Unfortunately, they're on topic for only about 2/3 of the show. The rest of the show is filled with them insulting each other ("F you," "No, F YOU!" in a playful manner but still could/should be edited out), making references to other sci-fi and pop culture items (Star Trek, Star Wars, Serenity/Firefly, and Shrek have all made appearances), and sharing random thoughts that have nothing to do with the series. But 20 minutes out of 30 isn't bad, I suppose.

The only thing that stops me from saying they're "great" in those 20 on-topic minutes are that they both swear a bit, and it's completely unnecessary. Every 2nd or 3rd sentence, somebody says f#^k or a$$ or s*&t with no real need to ("the f&*king others" instead of "the others"), and it's almost jarring. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against swearing when it's warranted (I swear like a sailor when I'm upset), but it really seems unimaginative and unintelligent in the show.

Admittedly, I hold podcasts about books to a high standard. The two I listen to about the Harry Potter series are fantastic (one done by high school/college age kids), and this definitely not in the realm of either of those shows. That said, I think I'll keep listening, as it's a nice way to get back into the series, well-timed with the end of the Harry Potter series...

The episodes, so far, have been on interesting subjects...
2-9 were about regions of Westeros and what's going on in each region
10 is about who they think will be killed off
11 and on (not released yet) are to be about character analyses

All in all, I give it a 3 out of 5. Without the profanity and the off-topic junk, it'd probably be a 4-4.5.

First few episodes are available for download at http://winteriscoming.vox.com/library/posts/page/2/ and episodes 7-10 are up on iTunes if anybody is interested...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote