Thread: 2020 MLB thread
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2020, 11:09 PM   #142
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
What would be the basis for MLB punishing the Astro players without the information they got from giving the players immunity? Mike Fiers' word? Compelling Ken Rosenthal to give up his sources? It seems to me that without the immunity, MLB is in the same exact spot they were before Fiers spoke on the record. A great number of rumors and no real concrete evidence to act on. If Manfred could have gotten the details of the cheating without talking to the Astro players, I suspect he would have done it before The Athletic expose it. It seems like the rumors have been out there in baseball circles for at least three years now.

I don't think the union want any part of finding a punishment that fits if they can just go with no punishment at all. If rumors are to be believed, the Astros are not the only ones that have entered cheating territory. They were the ones who went the furthest and was the most indignant about it. Sometimes the crooks are one step ahead of the law

I do wonder if Manfred thought the cheating was more widespread that it actually was. When Brady got busted for deflategate, you didn't see Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, or whoever else you want to call a star call out Brady, saying his rings were tainted. You have reigning MVP's calling out the Astros and the Commish. If it was as widespread as most Astros' fans tend to think it is, I think you would have seen a much more muted response to the whole scandal, with the players just wanting to move on. But it clearly struck a nerve, at least cheating with a real time camera, to where almost everyone is saying the response has been inadequate.

I also find it hard to believe that the Astros had enough players come and go over the past couple of years that they'd be willing to speak on behalf of the Astros situation, but maybe only Fiers wants to be a "snitch" as many have referred to him as, while the rest of the players are just shutting up?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote