View Single Post
Old 11-07-2019, 05:46 AM   #920
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Elizabeth Warren sure doesn't seem like the woman who can overcome those things, but I think that's true that being in the public eye for a lot less time really helps not having to fight against those decades of unflattering portrayals.

I listen to "The Daily" podcast on what went into that recent poll that showed the swing states still favoring Trump. They definitely found the perception of Warren falls into the "unlikable" troupe that many woman candidates do. They said the survey showed all the women running actually where considered "unlikable", with Warren the most. What struck me was that that opinion is mostly among other women. Even my wife says she finds her unlikable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Eh, I don't think it's the anti-Trump side that needs to get used to the new reality. The latest round of elections are yet more evidence of that. In literally every single case I've looked at - the '18 midterms, special election after special election after special election, etc. - Democrats are doing better than they did in '16, Republicans are doing worse. There isn't one shred of evidence that I see pointing the other way or even neutrally. This fear of Trump winning re-election is frankly hilarious to me. It could happen, but it would require something major to shift from where we are now. None of the Democratic candidates is nearly as unpopular as Hillary was at this time last cycle. I just don't see any good reason at all not to consider a Democratic presidential victory in '20 to be a 90-95% or higher likelihood.

You are not looking at the polling in areas that really matter. That NYT poll shows that Trump would win the election today, and quite possibly by a larger Electoral College number than the first time. The fact that he could lose California and New York by a wider margin means nothing.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-07-2019 at 05:47 AM.