View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 12:55 PM   #948
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
So, probably, the most legit takeaway is that when voting for President, Americans both think unusually strongly about "likability" and if there's a clear difference there, it's a major factor separating candidates in that race.

The same probably (in my view) goes for the notion of "deserves it," which I think should be phrased more eloquently than that. Not the same thing as "qualified" but rather as some sort of blend of merit and "the sort of person you want to see win the game" in the same context we feel that way about sports or reality shows.

I think Biden has a thin veneer of likability, but the longer you focus on him, the clearer it becomes that it doesn't run deep. Similarly, the GOP knows that they can use corruption angles to try to undermine his "deserving" rating - thus all the drama around family ties, etc. That's a parallel to the whole Benghazi and Foundation and emails angles that effectively converted an immensely "qualified" Hillary Clinton into someone that most persuadable voters had hesitations saying she "deserved" to win.

I think you're correct.

Biden is strange because he seems like a genuinely likable guy, but moderates on both sides seem to like him far more than liberal dems.

I also still very strongly believe he's the conventional Dem candidate that the GOP has become experts at attacking. Combine that with the fact that campaigning definitely isn't his strength and I see his campaign collapsing on a stage with Trump. As far as candidate strength goes I see him similar to Kerry and Hunter Biden very well could be his Swift Boat.