View Single Post
Old 06-29-2022, 02:57 PM   #2667
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Yeah, outside of an occasional great OSU, it is mostly just schools in the Southeast that matter. Even when you get a once-in-a-generation season from Notre Dame, Oregon, or Michigan, they get throttled by whatever SEC team gets thrown in their way.

I don't know how it plays out and whether it's good or bad for the league overall. But if they added 12-20 top schools from around the country, I don't see what the problem is. Much more competitive games on a weekly basis. No need to watch Alabama whoop up on Samford or whatever.

That's one of the things (but only a small'ish part) that I think will lead to this direction being the end rather than a new beginning.

Those Samford games matter more than people outside those markets realize. Most fans in the rabid markets see games in person for the first time against them, Gardner-Webb, etc et al, as season ticket holders either sell or even give away those tickets. Those pilgrimages to the football holy site matter in terms of connectivity, and there are exponentially more "sidewalk alums" than actual alums. You eventually don't have the massive fan base if you strip away that connection / opportunity for connection.