View Single Post
Old 06-30-2022, 03:21 PM   #2692
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And yes, I in turn then question the benefit (and eventual longevity) of directly associating the universities with their athletic departments at the "Superleague" level.

I end up there as well. But without that coupling, you end up dismantling a revenue source that for the 65 major college football teams alone, adds up to more than $5 billion per year in revenue. There's no way around the usual relationship between semi-pro and pro in terms of revenue.

I think it has to be tied to the brands somehow. And then run by some sort of commissioner separate from the NCAA approach that has to fit about a thousand colleges and universities and a couple of dozen sports, almost all of which lose money.

If emerging rumors are correct, the Big Ten may be trying to form some sort of complete league, which means they would want the other Pac Twelve major prizes of Stanford, California and Washington. Otherwise, I'm struggling to see why UCLA and USC are interested. It made more sense for Texas and Oklahoma to leave the sinking ship of the Big Twelve. This doesn't, unless there's a bigger plan.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote