View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 08:30 PM   #259
Izulde
Head Coach

I find myself staring at the Raptors East Conference Champion and NBA Champion banners hanging in the Toronto arena.

East Conference Champions

NBA Champions

They're the only three-peating conference champions since I've been in the league and the only team to have two periods of consecutive conference championships. In fact, the only other team to have conference championships period after my arrival in the NBA are the Charlotte Bobcats (East Conference -2007, 2008) and we, the Nuggets (2015, 2016).

When people talk about the great NBA dynasties of the 21st century, in some far flung future, they're going to be talking about this 2010s Raptors squad. I mean, we're halfway through the decade and Toronto's already guaranteed to have appeared in least half the Finals in the ten-year period, to say nothing of their 3 NBA titles during that span.

They're trying to become the first repeat champion in a long, long time, certainly since I've been in the NBA and the whole world is abuzz about this Finals matchup, because it's a re-match of last year's championship series. Television ratings look like they're going to be through the roof, which absolutely thrills league brass.

That's what consistently being a winning, deep playoff running franchise brings you. Fame, acclaim, and the ability to be a ratings powerhouse.

But after a while, all that doesn't matter without the greatest prize of all...

A trophy, a banner, a ring.

The article:

"And so we are here again, back for another Raptors/Nuggets NBA Finals. But everything's not the same as it was last year. Denver boasts an improvement starting at center, but Toronto counters that by holding home-court advantage after a late-season Nuggets stumble.

Last season was one of the most thrilling Finals in history, one that went a full seven games and ended in Nugget heartbreak in Denver as they fell just short.

This year promises to be just as exciting a matchup, not the least of which because the Raptors are aiming to become the first repeat NBA champions since the Shaquille O'Neal-led Lakers threepeat of 1999, 2000, and 2001.

Point Guard
Zelipe Gama vs. T.J. Ford
Gama struggled with distributing the ball around the bigger Julian Wright in the conference finals and so his playoff numbers fell to 8.7 points, 9.9 assists, 1.4 blocks and 1.4 steals. Make no mistake about it, though--the Spainard's determined to restore his passing prowess here in the championship round.

Ford's faced with a size disadvantage against Gama and at 33 years old, he's starting to noticeably lose a step. That said, he's the mirror image of Zelipe in the passing game, with more offensive pop to make up for his defensive playmaking deficiencies compared to the Denver guard. Postseason numbers: 10.8 points, 9.7 assists, 1.1 steals.

Advantage: Draw

Shooting Guard
Mateen Yeaton vs. Justin Richler
There's been a lot of criticism leveled at Yeaton for not having the superhero performances of last year's playoffs, charges that strike us as rather unfair. While his numbers of 22 points, 4.7 rebounds, 1.8 steals and 1.4 blocks are all down from last season, he's shooting 50.5% from the floor, his best postseason accuracy in years and he's shooting a nice 41.4% from 3-point range. He's still a superstar and nothing anybody says can convince us otherwise.

Richler has been freakishly good this postseason? How good? So good he's averaging 28.6 points, 4.1 rebounds, 1.4 steals and 1.2 blocks at... just 21 years old. He's already being called the Canadian Jordan, the Maple Leaf Sniper, and the Ice King, among other nicknames. Not since LeBron James has there been a young man so raved about. That said, there's holes in his game. He surrenders 5 inches to Yeaton and is a subpar passer, but that's not enough to keep this from being the most anticipated position battle in the series.

Advantage: Draw

Small Forward
Ron McPherson vs. David Anyan
This 2016 postseason might well be known as the Year of the Ron. He's not only averaged 20.8 points and 1.1 steals, he's banged against some oversized monsters and been more successful at containing them than their physical disparities suggest he should. Sure all he can do is score and play difficulty-enhancing defense, but that's exactly what he needs to do in Denver's system.

Anyan's only 24, but he's got nearly as good a shooting and scoring set of instincts as Richler. That's a scary swingman set for the Raptors to continue their dynasty around. He's averaging 23.6 points, 6.1 rebounds, 1.1 steals and 1.1 blocks in the playoffs. He's also got the defensive chops to contain McPherson, although Denver's SF is better at it than the Raptors' option.

Advantage: Raptors

Power Forward
Emeka Okafor vs. Chris Bosh
The question everyone's asking: How much does the Old Man of the Mountain have left? Okafor's been superlative in his defense and stunning in his point-production this postseason, but he was largely limited for much of the conference finals and there's some concern from Nuggets fans that he may be running out of gas. Don't count him out, though, as Denver's team captain has been playing with a polar bear's ferocity and is averaging 13.9 points, 9.5 rebounds, 1.1 steals and 2.4 blocks.

No offensive questions surround Bosh, who's put up 18.3 points, 10.7 rebounds and 2.1 blocks in the playoffs. He can snuff out Okafor's offense, but there's some lingering question as to how he'll handle Okafor's physical style, as the Denver PF is known for eating alive spindly fours.

Advantage: Toronto

Center
David Jackson vs. Greg Oden
9.2 points, 8.6 rebounds and 1.1 blocks aren't bad at all for a rookie C in the playoffs, but Jackson's been talking trash all postseason long and hasn't really put up the numbers to back up the game he's spitting, not even when he has the decided upper hand.

And the upper hand he doesn't have against Oden, who's averaging 13.3 points, 11.3 rebounds, 4.1 assists, 1.2 steals and 3.1 blocks this postseason. Having Richler in the lineup allows Oden to focus on a defense and rebounding role and he's so good at each of those aspects, we'd be surprised to see Jackson break 10 points or 10 rebounds even once this series.

Bench
This Nuggets bench has been furious at being dismissed all playoffs long and really showed it against the Spurs in the West Conference finals. Kirk Hinrich continues to defy time in averaging 7.5 points and 4.4 assists and Lindsey Williamson is still the most underrated player on this team, averaging 5.1 points, 4.6 rebounds and 1.1 blocks in 17 and a half minutes, to say nothing of great defense.

But how can even those two hope to compare to the Raptors bench? First of all, there's Andrea Bargnani, one of 5 five-star (5*) players on this Raptors team and the only one on the bench. Then there's Kobe Bryant, who can still light up the scoreboard at any given moment. And of course, Lamar Odom, who can play all five positions and who burns to avenge himself on GM Jestor and the Nuggets for unceremoniously cutting him not long after Denver dealt Tim Davis to the Lakers for his expiring salary. It should be noted that none of the Toronto reserves have noteworthy numbers in the playoffs, but that's because they haven't been given the minutes. You could start a playoff-worthy NBA team just with the Raptors bench, though.

Final Thoughts
It's going to take a miracle of the highest order for the Nuggets to even push it to six games, much less win the title. The Raptors are stacked so deep, they could field two quality sets of starting fives and not miss a beat. No amount of Denver's pluck and heart can overcome that. In fact, we're projecting a repeat of the 2010 Finals matchup between these two teams, when the Raptors swept the Nuggets for their first title in franchise history.

Yeah, it's not looking good. On the other hand, 16's my favorite number... so maybe luck and the miraculous can happen to give us the 2016 NBA championship?

Game One
It's a savage sellout crowd in Toronto and they're all thirsty for blood and a bonecrushing sweep. Lots of Canadian flags and Richler jerseys and the decibel level is so high, it's a wonder half the arena isn't permanently deaf by the end of the first quarter. It's a tight-fisted, white-knuckle affair marked by heroic defensive stands. The hometown fans have a lot to cheer as David Anyan scores 26 points and Chris Bosh grabs 18 points and 11 rebounds. We fight back with 14 points and 12 rebounds from David Jackson, 23 points from Mateen Yeaton and 11 bench points from Marcus Williams. But the Great Canadian Hero, Justin Richler slashes through us for 28 points, tearing out our hearts and throwing them down on the court in securing the under-10 points victory for the Raptors.
Final - Denver 89 Toronto 96

Game Two
I'm quietly wondering if our best effort was in the opening game. I'm thankful the suite I'm in is soundproof, because the place is rocking at high-volume yet again and there's even more maple leafs than last night, something I didn't think was possible. In fact, this has all the energy of a game where the Canadian national hockey team's competing for an Olympic gold medal. So it's no surprise when not a single Denver player emerges as a statistical star and Greg Oden nearly triple-doubles with 18 points, 16 rebounds and 7 assists. But the crowd doesn't care about Oden, because every throat is screaming "RICH-LER! RICH-LER! RICH-LER!" as the new national hero Justin Richler explodes the scoreboard with 32 points and we look completely exhausted and lost.
Final - Denver 80 Canada 102

Game Three
Sports is a funny thing. The eruption of Canadian nationalism has inspired a wave of American patriotism in the stands here in Denver, the seats packed with frantically waved American flags. There's a few Spanish ones too, in homage to Zelipe Gama, I note in amusement. But is this sudden clash of nations and the return home enough to will us to a victory? Well, Justin Richler, despite getting booed lustily every time he touches the ball, shows insane poise in getting 21 points and Greg Oden blocks it all out in getting 11 points and 22 rebounds. Our answer is 21 points from Mateen Yeaton and yet another surreal performance in a postseason of so many this year out of team captain Emeka Okafor, who rides our home fans' passion to a dynamite 23 points and 14 points as we crush the Raptors and get back in the series!
Final - Toronto 76 Denver 100

Game Four
Well, it's not going to be a sweep. We have that much to show for ourselves. But can this impassioned home crowd, who before the game sings the "Star-Spangled Banner" so loudly and proudly Congress can hear them all the way east in Washington D.C., carry us to to tying this series? Mateen Yeaton rises to the occasion with 28 points, but David Anyan matches him point for point with 28 of his own, Greg Oden powers his way to 13 points, 19 rebounds and 6 blocks and Lamar Odom flips off the box I sit in on his way to 13 bench points. We're absolutely destroyed, held to a horrific 36.6% conversion from the floor and it's looking like we're finished.
Final - Toronto 101 Denver 78

Game Five
One more shot at home. We're on the brink of elimination and I expect us to put up a good fight. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Raptors relax and let us have this one so they can win the title in Toronto. It turns out I'm wrong. David Anyan and Justin Richler, with all their youthful energy, don't care when and where they win the title and score 24 and 25 points respectively. Greg Oden puts up 11 points and 13 rebounds and things look grim. Emeka Okafor battles for 12 points and 12 rebounds and Mike Nooner and Lindsey Williamson show the first bench life for us since Game 1 with 10 points a piece. But it requires a magical, breathtaking 38 points from Mateen Yeaton to send the series back to Toronto and move the line to 3-2.
Final - Toronto 93 Denver 105

Game Six
I learn before this game that a capacity Canadian crowd can sing "O Canada" just as powerfully and loudly as the Americans can our own national anthem. The press, the announcers, the blogosphere, everyone seems convinced that this is it. This is where we'll have our first repeat champions since the turn of the century. To tell you the truth, I see it that way too. This Raptors team is just too deep and too talented to beat on a consistent basis. We will ourselves to fight as hard as we can and Mateen Yeaton scores 25 points and Zelipe Gama makes his first appearance all Finals with 11 points and 10 assists. Our defense also rises to the occasion, holding the Raptors to 36.5% shooting. Greg Oden still manages 14 points and 15 rebounds.... and then the Ice King cometh. Justin Richler sinks shot after shot, the Canadian crowd getting more excited with every bucket that goes in and in the end, his 26 points prove the differencemaker. We end the Finals as we began them, with a 7 point loss in Toronto.
Final - Denver 83 Toronto 90

"RICH-LER! RICH-LER! RICH-LER!"

"O Canada! Our home and native land
True patriot love in all thy sons command
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free"

The intermingling of Finals MVP Justin Richler's name being chanted and the Canadian national anthem is too much.

I quickly exit the luxury box to join the rest of the Nuggets in the locker room.

It seems only right that I be there and share the pain of yet another Finals loss with them.

Especially since I may not be here next year.

For through the haze of screams and confetti streams, I saw B.B. Dyer's glare as he mouthed '17 million.'

17 million over the cap and all I have to show for it is this chain of broken dreams.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote