General Manager

浮草物語 | A Story of Floating Weeds (1934)

Directed By: Ozu Yasujirō
Written By: Ikeda Tadao, Ozu Yasujirō
Starring: Sakamoto Takeshi, Iida Chôko, Mitsui Kôji, Yagumo Emiko
Length: 86 min.
Genre: Silent Drama

1935 Kinema Junpo Winner: Best Film

Kahichi is the leader of a traveling troupe of actors, and they are making a stop in a village that is home to a former lover, Otsune, and their son, Shinkichi. To spare the son the shame of having a traveling actor as a father, they tell him that he is his uncle. The troupe gets stuck at the village for an extended period of time due to poor weather.

It gets out that Kahichi has been spending all of spare time at one home, so one of his actresses (and implied current lover), Otaka, heads there with another actress, Otoki. Otaka learns that Shinkichi is Kahichi's son, and gets Otoki to seduce Shinkichi. That backfires in that the two fall in love. And when Kahichi finds out, he was not happy.

There was a subplot in the movie concerning one of Kahichi's actors and his son, showing what life is like for a son who is taken on the road by his traveling actor father. It was an effective way of demonstrating what it was Kahichi was trying to avoid by leaving his son behind.

This was one of the best silent movies I've seen. Just about everything about the movie was very well done, and this was the first movie from Ozu where I felt like he had really developed his style, and the first movie from him where this idea that he was a master of scene composition really shows.

All of the actors did a great job as well. No over-acting that is common with silent movies. And of course, I have to say it, multiple layers of conflict kept the tension up and the story moving at a good pace.

We'll be getting one more silent movie from Ozu (An Inn in Tokyo - 1935) before he moves on to sound in 1936.

My Rating: 9/10
IMDB User Rating: 7.8/10 (2.7k votes)
Rotten Tomatoes: N/A Critics, 83% of Audience (407 votes)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote