View Single Post
Old 10-22-2005, 02:39 PM   #90
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibnsgirl
I doubt that anything here is helpful since I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but at the very least I empathize. I don't like being around me when my patience is stressed. Keep doing what you are doing as far as setting a good example and trying to keep tensions down and by keeping the lines of communication open with your wife.
Right on! I don't much like the "impatient me" either.

Couple things when parenting, particularly an infant (again, probably stating the obvious, but just to reinforce):

1. Allow yourself to get frustrated. You are human. Don't beat yourself up over feeling overwhelmed at times. You are probably low on sleep and are constantly getting tested in a unique way because there is virtually no interaction. It's all "baby does X, so I have to cope with it." Sometimes my wife and I look back and think that nature tests your limits as a parent intentionally...it's like a rite of passage. You get more closely bonded through this trial by fire.

2. When possible, get some separation if you are stressed. Arrange some down time for each other. If you can work it, have one parent do the whole "night shift" so the other can get some uninterrupted sleep, then switch roles.