View Single Post
Old 09-29-2016, 09:59 AM   #26
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

September 29, 2016

So I finished with the screening yesterday and it went better than I expected. I was thinking that because of all the tests (waiting) and traffic that it might be close to 7 before I got home, but as it turned out I was home at 5:15.

The day started with me signing up for the clinical trial, agreeing to allow them to take blood or tissue whenever they deemed necessary. As well as agreeing to not have any more children (which was odd, but the organizer said it was a requirement and that she has to get 80 year olds to sign it as well). From there it was a quick vitals check, which worked out fine:

Weight: 186 (fully dressed)
BP: 108/68
Pulse: 82
Oxygen: 96
Temp: 97.7

Then on to labs, where I had to provide a urine sample (which wouldn't have been a problem if I hadn't gone to the bathroom right before walking into the clinic). Plus blood taken - 7 full vials worth. When I saw how much they were going to take, I asked if I'd get some apple juice or a cookie after donating blood.

After labs I went to get an EKG...which would have been easy enough if I wasn't sent to the wrong location........TWICE! So initially the nurse told me to go to Clinic A, so I found the clinic in building A, which was the only thing that seemed to fit. They informed me I was in the wrong place and directed me to the testing center. I found that, logged in, and after about a 20 minute wait, was again told I was in the wrong place. I was sent this time to the regular cardiology department, which was correct. After a short wait, I was called back, where a new tech was being trained on how to do EKGs, and it took about 5 times as long to get me patched and hooked up as it did to actually run the test. The heart rhythm apparently looked good because the tech made a comment about it while it was printing.

Then off to radiology for the CT Scan. I was called back, tapped for an IV so the contrast could be added quickly, then moved to a "behind the curtain" waiting room. During my move into that waiting room, and older lady was getting into a wheelchair to be rolled out. We exchanged some funny comments and teasing then before they wheeled her off, she took my hand and prayed for me. It was a bit overwhelming...

I was taken in for the CT Scan after a short wait. They did a couple of scans before adding the dye. Then repeated the process with the dye. The tech confirmed all my organs were present and accounted for.

While I'm now finished with the screening, I (to answer Craig's question above) don't know any details and probably won't for several more days. Fingers are crossed and saying my prayers that I won't be disqualified and they won't find anything new.

Last edited by Breeze : 09-29-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote