View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #310
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
There's going to be a lot more changes and all this stuff is going to get more expensive. I just read this tidbit:

Overall, Pachter predicts Netflix's streaming content licensing costs will rise from $180 million in 2010 to a whopping $1.98 billion in 2012.

Netflix renews contract for NBCUniversal movies and TV shows - Jul. 13, 2011

I think it's a bit much to expect them to just "stream everything" for the same cost or a slight price increase. (I think that also might shut down the internet). The studios have just gotten a ton more aggressive with this stuff. I would assume we'll see redbox increase prices a bit soon as well (they're already testing $1.15, $1.50, up to $2.00 in some markets).

The first month rental of certain movies through Blockbuster's Box thingy is 2.99/day, dropping to .99 eventually. I'd hate to see redbox go up in price, but I bet it happens soon.

As far as Netflix streaming goes, I expect it to cost at least 30/month within the next couple years, if licensing actually increases as projected. It's in the best interest for Time Warner/Comcast/etc to kill them off as the streaming is a significant part of their network traffic. And the cable companies aren't making a dime off of it, AFAIK.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote