View Single Post
Old 06-20-2020, 03:03 PM   #305
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General Manager notes: Roster breakdown
SO, some time on my hands, I decided to look at our roster and what the perspectives are.

playershort term plans (2091,’92)long term plans (2093+)
QB M.SheldonApparently even in his 3rd year cohesion wasn’t sufficient to have him play well enough. I’m not ready to show him the door, but he’s not quite the undisputed QB1.Stick around as the mentor to a new QB project, unless Bell convinced us to be our new franchise quarterback.
QB B.BellToo early to give up on him yet, but the future doesn’t look bright. We’ll give him his 3rd camp and pre-season, to prove he’s worth the salary to stick around and get another shot at QB1.Win the QB1 role or be done. Unless he’s willing to play for less than Farley as our QB2.
QB F.FarleyTaking a pay cut was the thing we needed for him to stick around as our QB3. Should be ok if forced in action.Stick around as our QB2.
RB F.PatterCap space could be an issue, but should be good enough to play another season as our RB1, unless we .Hard to tell with RBs
RB R.ThongchanhCap space is an issue, but if he doesn’t take a ratings reduction, should stick around as our RB2 and possibly as the punt returner and a special teams RB.Hard to tell with RBs
RB A.FordSpecial teams RBDepends on his demands.
FB C.BrosseauPlay for usPlay for us
TE C.GaynorDevelop, will get the time to prove himself.Develop or get lost. First signs were bad, but you have to wait until after that 3rd camp to draw conclusions.
TE R.CrawfordStick around as a run blockerStick around, if the price is right.
TE J.BlakeStick around as a run blockerStick around, if the price is right.
TE S.BridgesMentor Gaynor.retirement
WR T.BondyReturn to All IHOF quality, that would be swell.Don’t retire early.
WR B.SandlinOur WR2 for now, more of a WR3 type, I suspect.Has to give up some of his cap space, or he’ll be unaffordable as a WR3.
WR H.WilkersonSpecial teamer, good enough for a WR3 role.WR3 role? He’ll have to beat some of the other youngsters.
WR S.MessengerI think he was randomly hit when he became a pure kickoff returner. Hope he’s willing to play for less money.Depends on his salary demands and whether he picked up fumblitis last pre-season.
WR T.ArndtSpecial teamer and backup kickoff returner.If the price is right, he can stay.
WR G.StuckeyLet’s wait and see whether he’s going to live up to his route running potential.Let’s wait and see after his 3rd camp.
WR T.SamuelsStill a project, will be tough to remain patient with him.Show me something and you can stay.
LT N.HadingerTake a pay cut and hang around.The same as the short term.
LG M.SzottTake a pay cut and hang around.The same as the short term.
C B.PearsonTake a pay cut and hang around.Don’t retire early.
RG A.WatsonStick around.Stick around.
RT H.HumphreyTake a pay cut and hang around.The same as the short term.
LT M.HamiltonBe our backup OT.Probably elsewhere by lack of willingness to sign a new contract with us.
LG M.SilvanDevelop into a serviceable backup OL.Wait and see.
C J.LabbeStay as our backup center.Stick around as our backup.
DE A.RussellTake a pay cut and stay.I want him to stay, but cap space might become an issue, if he doesn’t retire.
DE T.WhitingTake a pay cut and stay.I want him to stay, but cap space might become an issue.
DE G.KondovskiTake a pay cut and stay.I want him to stay, but cap space might become an issue.
DE A.ExnerTake a pay cut and stay.I want him to stay, but cap space might become an issue.
DT J.MojicaTake a pay cut and stay.I want him to stay, but cap space might become an issue.
DT D.FletcherProve he’s the real deal. No wait, he already has done that.Cap space will be an issue once he starts asking for what he deserves.
DT A.RittSign a new cheap deal.We’ll see after that cheap deal.
DT K.AckermanStick around, be our new DT3.Stop being unhappy first, we’ll see after that.
LB C.JacksonTake a pay cut and stay.Take a pay cut and stay.
LB B.BradyNot fully convinced he’s the real thing, but he’ll get another season or two to prove he is.Wait and see.

LB D.EspinoTook a hit in pre-season, but his contract will force us to keep him for at least another season or two.The random hit is an issue, but our hands are tied for now.
LB M.IveansFree agent, unlikely to get a new deal.See short term.
LB A.PalmerSpecial teamer.Would be nice to keep him, but you know the deal.
LB B.RayburnRestricted free agent, can stay for minimum salary.Special teamer or elsewhere in the league.
CB K.HitchcockTake a paycut and stick around as our CB1.Retired and likely HOF bound.
CB J.RichardsonTake a paycut and stick around.Tough to tell with cornerbacks, they tend to retire early.
CB T.FriasWorth keeping.Hitchcock won’t be around forever, but Frias isn’t a CB1.
CB J.McNeilAlready regretting that I didn’t get to sign him to a new deal.Hopefully here to stay as a nickel or dime.
CB A.HarmonWe’ve got to re-sign this restricted free agent.Really worth keeping, I think.
SS A.MartyCohesion is king. Marty our man.Probably not here anymore.
FS R.NewsomeCohesion is king. Newsome our other man.Probably not here anymore.
SS S.HarperCandidate #1 to not make the team next season.If he hangs around, cohesion will make him worth keeping active.
SS C.MurrayWe’ve got to re-sign this restricted free agent.Really worth keeping, I think.
FS J.BrotzmanWe’ve got to re-sign this restricted free agent.Really worth keeping, I think.
P D.GuynesIt’s not all up to himself, if we get a chance to find a better punter, well…Be good, or be gone?
K M.GilesStick for another season or 3.And then we’ll see what his contract demands will be and where we’ll be in terms of cap hell.
LS B.KarneyStill here, hopefully.Even long snappers will retire someday.

Funny enough, despite this all time worst season, I see very little reason to feel bad about most of the players on roster. I do suspect we need a legitimate WR2 and it's worth looking out for receiving TE options that would be better than Gaynor, but overall, I think this collective isn't really the issue. Cap space will be a thing, big time. And the QB situation won't be solvable without making some other cap saving moves. It'll be an interesting off-season, that's for sure...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote