View Single Post
Old 12-16-2020, 01:18 AM   #72
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Catching up, had to re-read a few past posts.

Random thoughts solely fwiw ... outside coaching & its potential impact outside the lines is probably underestimated at times. Will's tennis instructor eventually became an influence as much off the court as on it, an honest ear as well as voice. Not saying this instructor is that person for your son but hopefully somebody will be at some point in his life. I think a voice that isn't related to them, that they don't suspect is saying nice things because they "have to", etc, has tremendous value.

-- Surprisingly (I suspect) I'm not in the "needs a few HBPs" school of thought. I had some fear issues with the fastest couple pitchers I ever saw, I couldn't K fast enough against the fastest, just wanted out of the box. But getting plunked a few times didn't improve that.

Mostly improved (never did shake it against that one guy) through surviving other scary stuff that occurred in the normal course of play & life, and learning broadly how to manage fear.

-- I'm also a bit middle ground about one sport vs multi sport, falling into the "YMMV" camp more than most I seem to run across. I've seen younger athletes who thrived with both approaches, I've also seen burnout (or physically wear out) with both approaches, leading me to believe that's best course is a case by case thing. My unsolicited advice would be let him plot that course (or at least you mark the course based on the cues you pick up from him). Kids almost always tell us - one way or another - what they really want.