View Single Post
Old 04-16-2017, 05:00 PM   #1
Critch
lolzcat

The World Cup of War - A Quick Ultimate Epic Battle Simulator Dynasty

Ultimate Epic Battle Simulator Dynasty is a strange sandbox-type game. There’s not much to it, you set up armies and they fight against each other under the guidance of very basic AI. It’s in EA (I think) and that’s about all there is to it, but with the promise it’ll be improved eventually, more armies, more maps, more game. Probably long after the novelty has worn off and I’ve uninstalled it though. It uses Unity so it’s nice looking and runs at a fair FPS for reasonable unit numbers.

There are about 20 “armies” in the base game and I’ll select 16 of them to run a World Cup type tournament. There will be 4 groups of 4, top two from each group qualify for the single elimination rounds. Like the soccer World Cup used to be before FIFA realized more countries meant more money.

Turns out there are 19 “armies” so three don’t make the cut. Catapults are out, they’re mainly a support unit, not much use on their own. Also out is Chuck Norris, he’s virtually indestructible and can kill multiple enemies with a single punch so he’s too good. At the risk of seeming un-American I’ve also dumped WWII US Infantry. They’ve been banned for testing positive for performance enhancing machine guns, nobody else has guns.

The Competitors
Medieval: Heavy Knights, Cavalry, Footmen, Spearmen, Archers
Evil: Zombies
Fantasy: Orcs, Giant Ogres
Ancient: Romans, Spartans, Persian, Wild Men
Animals: Penguins, Chickens, Tortoise
Super Hero: Golden Knights (?)

I’ve picked a section of one of the maps that’s green and flat-ish, the setup will be 2000 troops each (with a couple of tweaks for balance), both sides set to attack, they’ll charge at each other and whoever survives wins. The tweaks are that two armies are too good so 2000 would be too easy for them (Giant Ogres will have an army of 100, Golden Knights will have 200) and the animal armies are all useless so they’ll get 10000. Also Calvary’s 2000 will be 1000 riders + 1000 horses, seems fair.

Each battle should take about 5 minutes, and there will be no ties.

The Draw
I chose 4 seeds based on nothing more than my gut-feel for who should be seeded: Heavy Knights, Giant Ogres, Cavalry, Golden Knights. Everything else is free draw.

Group 1 – Heavy Knights, Wild Men (or Wild Mans as the game calls them), Zombies, Persians
Group 2 – Cavalry, Romans, Medieval Footmen, Tortoises
Group 3 – Giant Ogres, Spartans, Chickens, Medieval Spearmen
Group 4 – Golden Knights, Orcs, Penguins, Archers

Surprisingly I don’t have anything better to do on a Sunday afternoon than this.

Last edited by Critch : 04-16-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote