View Single Post
Old 12-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #42
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

25 December 2014

As the season reached the halfway pole, Paul Sanderson's Rochdale side found itself right where the pundits thought it would be: in the middle of an exciting, pitched battle for the championship of Group B of the Royal First Division. Rochdale were riding a 15-match unbeaten streak--10 wins, 5 draws--and the crowds at Spotland were steadily growing. They had spent some time on top of the table, exchanging places with Fleetwood and Burton nearly every week.

The supporters were coming out to watch a club that had scored the second most goals in league play in all of Britain. Andy Sim (15 goals in all competitions) and Steven Jackson (11) were the most productive strike partnership in the league, and players like Joe Webb and Andy Foster were also firing in goals with regularity.

"I like attractive, attacking football, and I know the supporters are enjoying it, too," said Sanderson.

Despite these positives, it hadn't been a smooth ride for the young manager. In early October, the team stood fifth, but many believed Sanderson was underachieving; he had assembled a squad with enough talent to top the table, said the experts. In fact, one paper claimed that unless the Dale got a result against Burton on 4 October, Sanderson might get the sack.

The lads responded with a stirring 4-0 victory, and since then, nobody had called for Paul's dismissal. In fact, clubs in higher divisions came calling for him. Port Vale and Exeter City both asked Paul for interviews, and the press called him the front-runner for the job at Tranmere Rovers.

"I'm flattered, but I'm not interested," Sanderson said. "I'm very happy here with Rochdale. We're putting together a group of exciting young players, and I see a very promising future unfolding at Spotland."

Joaquin Ruiz's future was going to unfold somewhere other than Everton. He was sacked in late November, with the Toffees floundering just above the drop zone. Only a year earlier, Ruiz had finished third in the Premier League Manager of the Year voting. His replacement, Jose Guedes, had the club playing a little better, but for a club that was predicted to finish seventh, a spot well in the bottom half of the table was a real disappointment.

Paul signed another of the youngsters Ruiz had sent packing from Everton: 19-year-old Mark March, a Welshman who could play anywhere on the right side of the pitch. Similarly-named Marc Malcolm, released from Rangers, also joined the club. He was 17, and he was comfortable in a variety of defensive roles. Neither youngster would be turning out for the first team yet, but their versatility made them part of Sanderson's plans for the future.

But, as the holidays brought a festive air to the foothills of the South Pennines, Rochdale supporters were more interested in the outcome of a promotion battle that showed every sign of continuing all season long.

I plan on continuing this story for years, or as long as Sanderson's career continues. So I don't burn out, I'm going to update only a few times a season, unless something truly remarkable happens.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote